ClubRoadster.net banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
Ok. Had a bit of a setback when I discovered the mildly rusty sill was actually severely rotten. The picture below was taken after I poked at (i.e. through) the bubbling paint and then pulled it apart. It wasn't possible to address it during the UK COVID19 lockdown but Ronin is now going into the bodyshop next week to get it cut out and new panels welded in.

In other news, I've bought myself a Hyundai 100ltr, 3HP, 14CFM Compressor in preparation for the sanding down and spraying action to come!

Gonna do this thing!

I've decided on Alfa Romeo 130 Rosso for the lower half of the body (to match my GTV Cup)😊 Will probably stick with original Stone Silver for the top (See no reason to change)

·
Mufasa in Training
33,613 Posts
Whoa.

I almost missed the cutouts at first!

Tell me the story, man :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Whoa.

I almost missed the cutouts at first!

Tell me the story, man :)
I'd been thinking about doing something like this for a long time and bought the lights about 4 years ago. Got bored today, so broke out the Dremel and made some holes in my bumper to accommodate them!

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave them like this. I've got some sheets of clear Lexan, so I may make some flush "Windows" to enclose them, but that would mean taking my angle grinder to the end of the bumper bar (and some complex heat forming). The proximity of the end of the chassis leg also makes it a tight squeeze!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Both sides - you'll have to pardon the scruffy peeling paint on the front bumper. I'm getting all the little details I want sorted done in prep for the planned respray. Whole car has severe lacquer peel and knackered paint, but as a Stone Silver car at 31 years old it's not surprising really.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
So today has been a day experimenting with 'drape forming' acrylic windows to the fog-light cutouts in my 'Endurance racer' (that's the theme I'm building on anyway) bumper. I've only done one side so far but I'm pretty pleased with how the process has worked so far. The covers will be rivetted in place, but here's how the first one looks atm.
Yes, there is acrylic there! It's soooooo clear.
Follows the contours of the bumper perfectly :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
They say that 'Necessity is the mother of invention', and it's a maxim that holds true!

Our dishwasher broke last week and before it got hauled away to the tip I salvaged a useful looking piece of galvanised steel from the base of it.

It's now been 'fettled' with my Jigsaw, Dremel and a hammer to create the perfect bracket to recess the fog-light and provide a mounting point for the shielding to box it in.

Just got to repeat for the other side now

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
How's it bolted in?
It's bolted to the upright plate behind the black plastic bumper. I'm going to run self tapping screws up through the flat plate under the bumper too, once the side and rear panels have been riveted on.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts