ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I've been building this car for a couple of months now, I've been posting up its progress on the UK forums and I thought you guys might be interested in it, I hope you like it, and I welcome your comments

Almost a year ago I purchased a Damaged Silver Mk1, the previous owner had damaged the rear wing, I ran the car around during the winter till the MOT ran out, then I parked it on my drive, and that is where it sat for the next 6 months or so, during that time I have been thinking about what to do with it, there was a few possibilities.

1) Break it
2) repair the damage and sell it
3) put it back on the road for the winter
4) something else

I kept thinking about doing option 1 or 2, but then when I was bored one day I was reminded of the M2 Speedster, and all of a sudden item 4 started to seem like a good idea, so now this poor neglected silver Mk1 is going to become something special.
here are some pictures of the M2 speedster, this was made in 1995, and it was the only one ever made, I will not be copying it, but using it for my inspiration.

and here is the car that is going to be transformed, lookng very sorry for itself

Today I stripped off the roof, emptied the doors of all the glass and window winders because these wont be needed, the masking tape shows roughly where the windscreen will be cut down to, although I will be keeping the top part of the screen frame, unlike the M2 version, I've got a set of S2 elise seats coming which will allow me to determine where the seating position will be, I need it to be as low as possible, the M2 version appears to keep the seating position more or less standard, I will be getting it as low as I can, I want to be sitting under the screen.

That is as far as I have got so far :)

Today I created the curve in the bottom rear corner of the door, its not as big as the one on the M2 version, but its exactly how I want it to be

I think this is a great modification, it looks like it should have been that shape from mazda

I then created a bulge in the sill, the welding isn't quite finished here, I ran out of welding gas

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to take the curved door idea onto the bootlid, the chrome pieces where the hardtop secures are going, so there is no need for the boot to have a square corner there, here is a photo of the modification in its early stages, still plenty to do to finish it off, but you get the idea

you will also notice that the the aerial hole has been made ready for welding up
I've also welded up the fuel filler flap, its got 3/4 of a tank, that will last ages :dance: hahaha, no I'm moving the fuel filler to inside the boot.

I have also test fitted a door popping solenoid, there will be no handles on this car either :)

I've managed to get some more done this afternoon,

the aerial hole is now welded up

as is the passenger side chrome hardtop fixing thingy

the seats also arrived today, I have been waiting for these so I could establish how low I can get the seating position, which would in turn determine the height of the screen, I have changed my mind about keeping the top part of the window frame, I decided that after looking at pictures of E-types, they have nothing above the glass, and I think it looks great.

so the first step was to place the seat in the car, then put some bloke in the seat, hahaha, then mark out where to cut the seat, you will also notice the passenger side door handle has been welded up in these pictures

then out came the angle grinder, and off came the top of the window frame, and the front door posts, I have placed the screen back in the frame and marked where it will be cut with masking tape to check the height

Lots still to do, but some big steps taken today, and I couldn't be happier with the seating position and screen height.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking about how to make the rear deck, after a friends suggestion and while searching for items online I came across a megan hood cover on ebay with a buy it now price of £28 including delivery, for that price it was worth a punt, and here it is offered upto the car

as you can see the hump is not central on the seat which is what I suspected, but if I move it to one side it looks like I might be able to use it, obviously it is going to need a lot of modification, but even if I only use the two humps I am happy at that price

just a small update because I haven't had much time to work on it this week, but I have cut the rear deck in half so I can move the humps out in line with the seat, I now think that it will be good to use, I have also made a template for the side window(s) so I can check the line works before cutting the 10mm perspex to shape.

I have just spent all day making the brackets for the drivers seat, lots of head scratching involved in working this out, but they are all in now, so tomorrow I will be doing it all again for the passenger side, hopefully that will be much easier though, now that I know what I want to do.

it is all totally rigid, and the bum area of the seat ends up right on the floor, so perfect for my needs :)

the paint was still drying when I left the workshop, so I'll put pictures of the seat in position up tomorrow.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
More to come in a few mins
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really pleased to say that the seat mount brackets are now all done, and both the seats can be mounted, this is a big part of the project done, because now I can see where the rear deck humps need to be.

I'm really pleased with the results, you will also notice that the car is now sitting lower to :)

a picture with me sitting in it

and a fun picture showing the drivers eye view, it was taken with the camera right infront of my eyes :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've made a bit more progress today, I decided it was time to finish of the top of the windscreen posts, this is how they looked after they were cut down

the plan was to weld on a 3mm steel cap over the whole area, allowing for the plastic inner post cover, and to go over the remains of the door frame, this would then create a nice cleen single piece cap, I would then put a seperate cap over the door frame under the main cap (confused yet? hahaha, best to let the photos do the talking :) )

these photos show the cap on the door frame, which is under the main cap

I then did the same to the drivers side, and sprayed both posts black so see what they looked like, I think they will be done black when the car is finished, they seem to disapear a bit like that, and it works well with the interior.

the next stage was to make one of the side windows and test fit it, this was made in 10mm perspex, I need to find a better solution for the rubber trim on the outside of the door, but other than that I am really happy with the overall look.

That now brings you guys upto date with the project, I will continue to update it as I progress with it

Thanks

Garath

·
Supporting Member
60 Posts
C'mon..you have to be Ed from Wheeler Dealers! I absolutely love the front road lights. I hope you post a lot more pictures...SOON! Cheers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C'mon..you have to be Ed from Wheeler Dealers! I absolutely love the front road lights. I hope you post a lot more pictures...SOON! Cheers.
hahahaha, People have called me Ed China before, :D

I'm afraid the large spots in the front bumper are a feature I will not be using on my car

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Time for a little update, I've been spending a lot of time on the rear deck, it has been tricky to get right, but I think I am getting there now.

Here are some pictures of how it is looking at the moment, still lots to do but you get the idea of how it is going to look.

Please ignore the height of the screen, I still haven't got that cut down as yet.

Your comments are welcomed :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 20 of 326 Posts