ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'll try to make this short and sweet. I needed a daily driver, as my '99 Dodge Cummins Dually just wasn't cutting it. Now I can park that, and only use it to haul around my 05 Evo MR track car.

I wanted something that I could take to the local autocrosses and have fun, but still be reliable enough to daily drive. And after getting a ride along in a spec Miata last year at NHMS, I knew I'd end up in the little gay mobile. :haiguyths:

The previous owner had painted the car with Rustoleum Forest Green paint with a sick custom two tone lime green. They must have used Rustoleum roll-on clear coat as well, because it was chipping in every possible area. PERFECT! :phillyb:

On my way home from picking it up.

First things first - I could NOT been seen driving it around for long with this hideous green, and tan, but new, top. Luckily I own a plasti-dipping company called Filthy Dips, so I sprayed it Matte Black with some extra material I had lying around.

Filled some holes, sanded some drips, and sprayed her down! For those that don't know - Plasti-Dip is basically a spray on vinyl wrap. It's 100% removable and protects and preserves the paint underneath, so there is virtually no prep work. It peels right off when you're ready to remove it!

Needed to tidy up the bay a little bit, so everything was getting sprayed!

The matte black is temporary - I just couldn't stand the green. Yes, I sprayed the top as well, and yes it adheres and is still holding up perfectly fine. Plasti-dip is basically rubber, so it has no problem bending and folding when I pull the top down.

All done - turn signals tinted (but too much black and no contrast led me to peel them off the next day)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then it was time to give the interior a little change. Not sure if black dash's are rare, but it was getting flocked either way! I flocked the dash in my Evo track car, and it came out awesome, so I was definitely doing the same to the turd.

Here's my Evo's dash;

So, out came the dash! Looks like someone replaced the carpet with some weird universal carpet (?). Will most likely get pulled out.

Car came with a HardDog Hard Bar (which will be replaced, but I will get to that later on). It's for sale for dirt cheap if anyone is interested. Also you can see my GoMiata shorty antenna.

NRG 350mm Deep Dish Suede wheel (can't beat it for $95 shipped new). It's not as sturdy as my Personal wheel in my Evo, but we'll see how it holds up. Worse comes to worse, I'm out $95.

Flocking your dash is SUPER SIMPLE to do. Get the dash out of your car, lightly sand it (I used 800 grit), then clean it with some wax and grease remover. It's now prepped.

Hop on to DonJer.com and order their Flocking Kit. There is a variety of colors to choose from, but I went with black, as a colored dash would make the car gayer than it already is...:). The kit comes with adhesive, nylon fibers, and an applicator (the tube). The brush they supply in the kit is a joke, so run down to home depot and pick up a manly brush to make the job easier.

Apply a thick coat of the adhesive onto whatever part you are wanting to flock. Make sure it's a thick coat, but not too thick that is drips. You have 15 minutes from the time you apply the adhesive to get your fibers sprayed on, so prefill the "tube" before brushing on the adhesive.

After you have the adhesive down, spray the fibers onto the part by "jerking" the tube. Yes, that's what I mean, and yes that's how it works. NOTE: Spray WAY more fibers on the part than you think. You do not want to have bare spots after it cures, so lay it on extra heavy. You can always pick up and reuse the fibers, hence the plastic backdrop.

Once finished, the parts need to cure for 72 hours. After that you can use a compressor to blow off the extra fibers. Good luck scratching any of the fibers off too, it's extremely durable once cured.

In the mean time, and since parts are so damn cheap, I managed to order a ton of parts after giving the car a full fluids change, as well as some new plugs. Still need to grab a new air filter or make a CAI. I also picked up a new Valve Cover gasket to get rid of the old leaky one.

Wanted to go with some Flyin Miata Vmaxx's but they were on back-order until May or June, and I didn't feel like waiting that long, so I grabbed some Megan Racing EZ Streets. The reviews seemed pretty good, and the 8k/6k setup would be a decent setup for now.

To continue with the budget build, I picked up some 15x9 +0 Rota Grid V's in Royal Bronze and 225/45/15 Hankook RS3's. Yes, I also grabbed some AK V1 flares as well.

On to the coilover install. Got to love New England cars! The lower strut bolt decided to strip itself and just spin in place. So, off with the entire lower control arm and spindle (as the control arm to spindle bolt wouldn't budge). The lower control arm bolt sheering off actually made uninstalling a lot easier! :)

Picked up a new lower control arm and spindle from a local shop. Needless to say everything was glazed with anti-seeze.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Needing to get the turd out of the garage, I didn't have time to readjust the coilovers after the inital install, so the car is currently RAKED! Planning on fixing this tomorrow. 949 has a measurement for a proper ride height, I guess, so I will follow that. I think I'm at 11.75" in the rear and 12.5" in the front, LOL.

Got the tires mounted on the TE...I mean Grid V's today :(.

Tomorrow the dash goes back in the car, and I will be installing some other goodies, as well as raising up the coilovers to a proper stance. Looks like my flares and AK V2 trunk will be in Friday, and my garage is already packed with a bunch of boxes with more parts.

I'll post more tomorrow.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
subscribed, love my cummins.
Love mine too, but I might be selling it. Here's some pics - it's a '99 Laramie Sport SLT with a built auto trans (billet triple disc converter, HD valve body, Billet Input Shaft, HUGE oil pan), and a bunch of goodies. I want a 5 speed and SRW though.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Bilsteins removed for megans.... I has a sad face.

Interesting to see how nice the flock came out with the brush. I used a gun to lay down the glue, I think it was a huge mistake. Instructions called for thinning it as well, pretty sure it fucked up the whole deal. The compressor attachment for the flock was a damn joke too. SUCH A FUCKIN MESS le sigh...

Curious, did you use spray cans or the big gun from dipyourcar to spray the plastidip?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bilsteins removed for megans.... I has a sad face.

Interesting to see how nice the flock came out with the brush. I used a gun to lay down the glue, I think it was a huge mistake. Instructions called for thinning it as well, pretty sure it fucked up the whole deal. The compressor attachment for the flock was a damn joke too. SUCH A FUCKIN MESS le sigh...

Curious, did you use spray cans or the big gun from dipyourcar to spray the plastidip?
The Bilsteins were junk at this point. The Megan's rode 100x better, even with my f'd up ride height. Like stated, they weren't my ideal choice, but they'll do for now.

Ah, yeah, I can't imagine using a gun to lay down the glue. That would definitely make a mess! I tried to go the easiest way possible, with the simplest tools. Glad I did, as it seems you had a horrible time, LOL!

I buy all my materials by the gallon, and spray with a HVLP sprayer. Check out my facebook page - facebook.com/FilthyDips - I have a ton of examples of my work, with constant daily updates.

The turd will be going a gloss diamond pearl white (yes, with dip), once I get my flares, trunk, and hardtop installed. I have come out with tons of custom satin metallic colors - there's so much you can do with the dip.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Yeah, the worst was the gun attachment that fogged out the flock. Imagine a giant cloud of flock showering your work space like a fog machine. So stupid haha. After two gigantic clouds the whole thing went in the trash.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the worst was the gun attachment that fogged out the flock. Imagine a giant cloud of flock showering your work space like a fog machine. So stupid haha. After two gigantic clouds the whole thing went in the trash.
LOL, I would've been so mad.

I was skeptical about the "tubes" when they first arrived, but to my surprise, they work awesome! As you can see in my pics, there isn't much overspray. No black nylon fiber clouds here. :haiguyths:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Car came with a HardDog Hard Bar (which will be replaced, but I will get to that later on). It's for sale for dirt cheap if anyone is interested. Also you can see my GoMiata shorty antenna.
Just because imm a cheep skate . How cheep is dirt cheep?

·
Registered
653 Posts
How do you get the plastidip to apply to smooth? I used cans for my hard top and it was uneven on the top. No matter how much material I sprayed it wouldn't look smooth.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just because imm a cheep skate . How cheep is dirt cheep?
PM'd you.

How do you get the plastidip to apply to smooth? I used cans for my hard top and it was uneven on the top. No matter how much material I sprayed it wouldn't look smooth.
Set the cans in warm-hot water to make sure that the dip inside is warm. This will ensure that the dip will spray correctly. If the can is cold, it's going to spray like **** (chunky).

Your first coat should be about 50-60% transparent. You barely want to lay down anything, you just want a good base. Let each coat COMPLETELY dry. 10-15 minutes between coats, depends on weather etc.

Once you have that first layer down, you can start to add thicker coats - again, letting each coat completely dry. Make sure to make nice even passes with about 50% overlap. Plasti-dip is nothing like spray paint, so it does take some technique to apply it correctly, so that when you're ready to remove it, it comes off in one nice big sheet.

Your last coats should be pretty thick, this is what will give you a nice even finish. Make sure you're not misting it on, as this will cause texture.

Things that cause texture;
-cold dip
-misting
-uneven passes
-improper drying time

What's the cleaning procedure like with the plastidip finish? Does it tend to hold on to dust?
You can spray a quick wax on the dipped parts to prolong the life of the dip. To wash, any touch-free car wash, pressure washer, or high pressure nozzle on your hose will do! I don't even use soap to clean my dipped cars.

Matte white gets dirty quick, and stains easy. I always recommend to add gloss to matte white, or atleast lay down a few coats.

Other than that, I've have no problem cleaning any other color.

Nice build, very exited to see how the flock turned out!
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't get to hop on the interwebs as much as I'd like, so here's my update from yesterday. Got a good amount done! I will say, that I hate Northern cars. Too much rust! (see pics for what I'm talking about!)

Started off with replacing the terrible factory tow hooks. I hope these won't be needed, but just incase, time to rice it up! I probably could have taken a BFH and just beat the factory tow hooks until they crumbled into a pile of rust flakes, but I was afraid the rest of the car would've fallen apart.

\

Ordered these from Track Dog Racing. Installation was obviously super easy, but I will say they must use some shitty paint (and not powder coat) as even with the slightest bump up against something, the paint flaked right off. I will most likely pull them and have them powder coated.

Adjusted the coilovers to a proper stand (to get ready for the flares), and realized that the Megan's don't go that low. My ride heights are around 12-12.25 F/ 12.5 R. Is there any way to go lower? I read a thread on here, that someone messed with the lower spring perch, but I don't really want to sacrifice driveability for more low. We'll see how everything sits with the flares first.

225's definitely gives the ass end a whole new look.

I bought some side-mount seat brackets off eCrater for $50 shipped. These bolt right to your factory sliders! I tossed in a Bride Rep for now.

The Bride is a very tight fit. I am only 5'6, so I sit pretty close, and don't have any issues with the side of the seat rubbing. But when I slide it back to get out, the DS definitely rubs.

Well, one of my headlights was dim when I picked up the car, so I ordered these H4 replacements a while back. Just got around to installing them, and turns out I had Hella's on the car already. Guess I should have checked first, LOL. Also turns out, I like the style/look of the replacements better, so off came the Hella's.

STILL DIM! So, now I have to figure out why. I will be tackling this more today, but anybody have anny insight where I should look first?

I plan on picking up a new headlight kit, to change up the look of the front end. In the mean time, I picked up a cheapo sleepy eye kit. Super easy install, but I didn't want a mess of wires coming out of my fuse box, so I tried to hide it as best as possible.

Turns out, I have a lazy PS headlight. The linkage arm is suppose to have a clip to hold it in place when the headlights retracts up and down. Well, the PS headlight is missing this, so it has about an inch of slop. Need to find the part number and order a new one.

For install, I drilled out a hole in the fuse box cover, so I could run the wires through, and still use the cover.

Taped up the fuse, and tucked everything away. I will be either replacing the red wire with another black wires or finding a better way to hide it. I hate wiring messes.

That was all for yesterday. I didn't get a chance to touch the dash, but it's fully cured and ready to go in.

Today I'm going to tackle cleaning up the bay a bit. I want to pull the intake manifold, clean, and paint it. As well as replace some of the old rusty clamps throughout the bay. I believe I have a leaky CAS o-ring, so that will have to get done soon as well.

The car will need an alignment soon. I'm going to have this done asap, as I will be autocrossing the car on the 21st.

In other news, my AK V1 flares come in today, as well as my AK V2 trunk lid, so I will be installing those. I will also be tossing on my GV lip, and Planet Miata skirts. :)

I will finally get a chance to air off the excess fibers on my dash, and dash pieces, and get that reinstalled. I should have plenty of picture updates later today.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts