ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early 2010, my friend Devin picked up a 1990 or 91 Miata whose interior was burned out by some students at a local university. The car was originally red but painted over with an overly sparkled purple. To top it all off, this Miata was fitted with a hideous Fast and the Furious body kit and nose. We decided to begin restoring this car and giving it a second chance at being awesome.

Goal:
  • Develop a Miata that weighs close to 1900lbs or less. Increased grip and agility is important.
  • This car will be used solely on track and autocross events so it will have a full roll cage, door bars, and other additions to increase rigidity where needed.
  • The car will be built around the concept of low weight, efficiency, tight budget, and most importantly innovative products and fab techniques.
  • We aim to source as many products and services as we can from Junior Vendors here on Clubroadster. In turn we will write reviews and product tests.
Devin gutting and cutting the doors, shaved 17.5 lbs/door

After 3 days of work and some clean up.

Close up of some of my sanding lol

Pulled off the fenders and nose to inspect our chassis. Pulled off more unnecessary pieces.

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The fire + sitting in the rain made it look like crap, but sanding and a bit of body work showed that the body and lines are really good!

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops, I'll change the photos in a minute. Yeah, we find that its a bigger challenge to lighten a car and increase performance than increasing power only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking good mate, graet to see something like this getting done properly, i'll be keeping my eye on this build,

keep up the good work

Dave

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Whoooo! This is very similar to the project car I have in mind :)
there's was this $500 miata on CL and it only needed a timing belt.
My plan is to strip it while being somewhat road legal. And sadly, it'll have to keep it's emission stuff.

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While the car is waiting to be finished sanding and all, Devin has torn down on of the weaker 1.6L motors he has sitting around. The cylinder walls and pistons looked pretty clean. Planning to do some light porting, cleaning, and resealing all the valves. As far as the bottom-end goes, we will be inspecting the main bearings and crank endplay.

Meanwhile, I've sourced some cheap HR springs that will get mated to a set of Konis. Temporary setup while we get the car running and on track. Pictures are coming soon.

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you haven't bought shocks yet, I'd suggest Illuminas for budget shock work. That said, Konis are rebuildable.
The Konis we have are yellow, are those rebuildable as well? Might as well have them revalved + GC instead of wasting money on a full coilover :)

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Nice project. Ill be taking notes. i have a feeling that after this FE3 swap im going to be feeling a little on the heavy side..

·
Supporting Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Finally got pictures of us doing some work: today we focused on the block. Checked the crank endplay, inspected everything and for the most part looks like everything is well within spec. We're gonna source an oil pump and just leave it as it is.

Next up we're gonna service the head so we should have a nice little write up coming.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts