ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's play a game where you post a brand name and your ideas on how to pronounce it.

I'll start

Enkei

I've heard it said like on-k-igh, and ehn-key...how do you REALLY pronounce it?

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
TEIN. I've heard many people say it different ways. I say TEE-IN. Is that how is should be pronounced?!?

Also, 5Zigen. I say 5 Zigen. Others say Go Zigen. I understand that 5 is GO in Japanese but seriously...

I pronounce Enkei ehn-key also. I have others, they just aren't popping into my head right now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
GReddy>

i have heard (Gee-Ready) I personally say (Grr-eddy).. [as one word accented for emphasis] Not sure which is correct tho.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
718 Posts
GReddy>

i have heard (Gee-Ready) I personally say (Grr-eddy).. [as one word accented for emphasis] Not sure which is correct tho.

-Jeremy
Greddy I think should be Gr-eddy like you said, because IIRC it's short for great eddy or something weird like that.

and in all seriousness, I'm curious how you guys pronounce Honda. do you say Hahn-dah or Hohn-dah. the correct Japanese is Hohn-dah if it makes you feel better.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
BRIDE.

Is it "brahyd" (same pronunciation as in 'wedding bride') or "brhid" (as in br-hid, like you hid from someone) ????

As for TEIN, I used to say "teen" but now I say "tayne."

RE AMEMIYA - this is going to be a hard one to try to spell out the pronunciation. Is it "arr-ee-ah-mah-me-ah" or "arr-ee-ah-mehm-ee-ya" ?

I can't think of any others for now...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
RE Amemiya -> Arr-Eeh Aah-meh-meeyah

Honda -> Hohn-da

Bride -> The same way it's said in english, I believe?

here's one for y'all:

MUGEN

I know how it's 'sposed to be pronounced, but how about the rest of everyone? :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've always understood and heard it in BMI vids as:
Are-ee Uh-mem-ya (well more like uh-meh-me-ya, with the 'me' almost missing.)

I've heard it's Bhrid, not bryde but I can't back that up, and it's definately Tane.

I say Go Zee-ghin for better or worse.

Mugen is Myooo-ghyn to me, again BoW.

The ones that get me are the less JDM ones.
Saleen and Panoz.
I know that it's Suh-lean, not salt water saline,
but Panoz becomes Paynose, puhnawz, puhnose all the time.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
ooh, that's a good one.
Puhr-sjoh for me.
Definately K-office.

...and the reason I say Suh-lean, is because I get corrected at work any time I say it wrong by my boss who got corrected by Steve Saleen himself who objected to being called salt-water solution.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
...and the reason I say Suh-lean, is because I get corrected at work any time I say it wrong by my boss who got corrected by Steve Saleen himself who objected to being called salt-water solution.
LOL. I would say it to his face sayleen. What? :lol: :has a thing against saleen:

·
Registered
718 Posts
alright guys

Le Mans-->

Renault-->

Audi--> ow-die or ah-di

and not so much pronunciation as JDM trivia:

what do ARC and HKS stand for?

caldera, you got the RE-Amemiya right I think. I don't have japanese input on this computer but if I did the hiragana would be ah-me-mya. if you understand that.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
ARC = Abbey Road Company
HKS = Hasegawa, Kitagawa, Sigma

ow-die would be truer to german pronounciation:

Mugen is pronounced mu like the greek letter and gen is like the "gan" in pagan.

Hyundai is pronounced like H(u)yun dae

A'PEXi is pronounced Apex.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
edit: A'PEXi is pronounced Apex, but like Ah-pecks NOT APE-X.

Amemiya is pronounced ah-meh-me-ya, but due to Japanese having silent vowels, it sounds more like a'memya

http://japan-studies.com/language/pronunciation/

Bride is indeed pronounced like it rhymes with Grid.

Mazda is pronounced Matsuda.

TEIN is a portmanteau of TEchnology and INnovation, and thus pronounced as it rhymes with Pain.

JDM Trivia, What does AUTOBACS stand for?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
edit: A'PEXi is pronounced Apex, but like Ah-pecks NOT APE-X.

Amemiya is pronounced ah-meh-me-ya, but due to Japanese having silent vowels, it sounds more like a'memya

http://japan-studies.com/language/pronunciation/

Bride is indeed pronounced like it rhymes with Grid.

Mazda is pronounced Matsuda.

TEIN is a portmanteau of TEchnology and INnovation, and thus pronounced as it rhymes with Pain.

JDM Trivia, What does AUTOBACS stand for?

this man knows what he speaks of.

Appeal, Unique, Tires, Oil, Batteries, Accessories, Car-audio, and Services

edit: i just saw what you wrote for tein again. its actually TEchnical INnovation

1 - 20 of 70 Posts