Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sponsors
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

We are extremely proud to be an official sponsor of The Grassroots Motorsports $2015 Challenge this year! The $2015 Challenge celebrates its 15th anniversary by returning to Auto Plus Raceway in Gainesville, Florida, October 23-24, 2015. This event showcases some very spectacular builds, each on a budget of only $2015. The challenge consists of drag racing, autocross competition, and concourse judging! Our performance expert, Al Unser Jr., will also be attending and judging the Concours d'Elegance segment.

In honor of this special and fun event, I'm happy to announce that we will be hosting a FREE giveaway of a set of our spark plugs to one lucky winner. There's no hidden catch, simply post a reply to this thread with the most creative (and economical) modification you've done to your car to help us celebrate the Grassroots Motorsports $2015 Challenge! :)

Winner will be chosen next week!

Thanks,
- [email protected]

THE GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS MAGAZINE $2015 CHALLENGE
DRIVEN BY GENERAL TIRES
SPONSORED BY CRC INDUSTRIES, MILLER ELECTRIC, PULSTAR SPARK PLUGS​

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
On my first manual transmission car I shortened the shifter by just cutting the shaft and using a shift knob that attached with set screws. Not knowing any better I thought that was the free.99 way to have a real short shifter! Now I know better.

·
Sponsors
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my first manual transmission car I shortened the shifter by just cutting the shaft and using a shift knob that attached with set screws. Not knowing any better I thought that was the free.99 way to have a real short shifter! Now I know better.
I did a lot of similar things on my first car too, you live and learn lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
I haven't decided if I want to strip out the sound system (because racecar) or upgrade it in my NB, but in the meantime I've been looking for a way to play music from my phone while driving. For years I struggled with band-aid solutions like FM Transmitters and those cassettes on a string (which my NB can't use) which never seemed to work right.

One day while playing in a scrapped 90's Chrysler that resembled a shredded Coca Cola® can from the local fire department's annual 'jaws of life' training, I found a device that I was fascinated by: an antenna bypass

You unplug the antenna from the back of your head unit and basically wire this box in series with the antenna wire. Threw that switch in the small tab on the passenger side of the trans tunnel to toggle it on or off, and set the radio to a certain channel to get a basically hardwired aux cord using a (not included) 3-ft RCA-to-3.5mm headphone jack.

Sound quality isn't that of a CD, but its a bajillion times better than any FM transmitter or cassette adapter I've ever used. For someone not wanting to change a head unit yet and wants a quality sounding $23 solution to no aux cord, I 9/10 recommend.

I know audio upgrades probably aren't done often in GRM challenges, but free stuff is cool and it was definitely worth it for my 7 hour drive to MATG and more than likely the best $20 I've put into this car. Who doesn't enjoy driving around while blasting their carefully selected Hannah Montana playlist in superior sound quality?!

·
See You Next Tuesday!
2,188 Posts
I swapped out my .044 gapped and indexed plugs for... Oh wait. Nevermind.

;)

But seriously, best budget way to improve my car's performance?

Cut open the airbox on my stock NA8 filter housing.
2hp on the dyno.

·
Sponsors
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound quality isn't that of a CD, but its a bajillion times better than any FM transmitter or cassette adapter I've ever used. For someone not wanting to change a head unit yet and wants a quality sounding $23 solution to no aux cord, I 9/10 recommend.
Interesting, I might look into something like that! My 350z doesn't have a cassette player/aux port, etc..Every FM transmitter I've used has sounded like garbage, and I've been getting really tired of burning CDs lately haha :suicide:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Interesting, I might look into something like that! My 350z doesn't have a cassette player/aux port, etc..Every FM transmitter I've used has sounded like garbage, and I've been getting really tired of burning CDs lately haha :suicide:
I'd definitely give it a shot then. The reason I gave it 9/10 is because every few weeks I hear a slight whine with rpm through the speakers, but I just learned about EMI the other day so stuffing it up under the dash unstrategically isn't the best idea, need to get in there and move it.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
AARROW's Patented Door Cup Mod.

Cost: $0

Savings: $60-$75

Result: So much less NVH. Car door closes with a nice thud now. Didn't have to do any trimming or readjusting. One million years of eternal happiness.

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
replying to the thread!
I'm pretty sure we need to reply with a description of a cheap mod we did in the spirit of the $2015 Challenge.

Not performance and not creative: One of my rear speakers blew in my 1991 Beretta GT. One time when I was moving apartments, I had my big house floor speakers in the trunk. I left one in, hooked it's speaker wire up to the wiring harness for that blown speaker, and I had a rear speaker again. I just flipped the rear seat backs down so I could hear it better. I drove around that way for months.

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts
I squeezed the door cups with huge adjustable pliers. Chassis is a little stiffer now. Cost: $0

Credit to AARROW™ Patented Door Cup Mod.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I found a set of LS2 coils laying around the shop, so I used a set of factory plug wires, shaped the coil end into a tighter circle to fit perfectly over the LS2 coil plug connector. Then mounted them near factory coil location using zip ties to the brake booster vacuum tube. The electrical connectors were like $10. I also found some wiring sheathing laying around the shop. So for $10 I ended up with a pretty legit coil setup.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ive got a sawzall. I've used that for some major weight reduction. It made the car faster.

for a little while...

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
I squeezed the door cups with huge adjustable pliers. Chassis is a little stiffer now. Cost: $0

Credit to AARROW™ Patented Door Cup Mod.
Love this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.