ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, have this issue every time I pump gas into my 2000 NB. When I have the pump in and pushed all way in and manually squeezing the trigger, gas flows then stops, I then have to release and resqueeze the trigger and then it stops again after a bit and as mentioned release and resqueeze. I keep doing this until I reach near full tank or so then stop. Anybody have an idea of what is going on? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
371 Posts
dont push it all the way in. there is a sensor on the tip that stops the pump, what usualy happens is there is a back splash that trigers the sensor making the pump stop.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont push it all the way in. there is a sensor on the tip that stops the pump, what usualy happens is there is a back splash that trigers the sensor making the pump stop.
Oh ok thanks. I do that with our 07 Civic and my previous car (05 Civic Si). Guess with the Miata I dont need to.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
you must angle the pump parallel to your car. not perpendicular. if the car is 8===8, then the pump must face -->. otherwise it'll shut it off.

·
Mr. Swisher
1,430 Posts
I gas tons of cars at the lot I work at. Maybe 1 in 20 do what is described above. I could gas 3 cobalts just fine and on the 4th cobalt the pump will give me crap. Same pump same day. I think it has to do with the actual pump sometimes too, some being more sensitive than others. But pulling it out a tad will cure that problem, just as stated above. Don't pull it out too far, because the gas will not stop flowing! Lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have this problem sometimes, except, replace gas with ****, and NB with women.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is a known issue on a lot of cars and a recall on my ex-wife's 2002 Hyundai. There was a part that hooked in-line with the gas tank that regulated pressure in the tank (I think). It was broken on her car, and would stop the gas from pumping every 2 seconds because it always thought it was full. I fought with it for months, at every gas station I tried, different fill-up levels, etc. Pretty annoying, but the dealer replaced the part and we never had issues again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe you guys aren't aware but there was a recall for the nb1s that dealt with this issue. That was one of the 1st things I had to get done to my car. The dealer fixed it for free and now filling it up is just like any other car. Trust me go get it done. I don't know how the hell the previous owner dealt with it for 120k

Reference material: http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb007_99.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts