ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Nardi wheel and NRG mazda hub/2.0 quick release on and now it feels like it almost no power steering. Also, after exiting a turn the wheel doesn't spin back to center. I have to manually do it.

Did I hook it up wrong? Or whats up?

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts
Did you tighten the bolt on the column, you know the bolt that the hub goes on? Do the wheels turn normally when you turn the wheel?

·
R U ?
7,169 Posts
How would that be an issue with your steering wheel? Is your car continuing on the same path when you turn and let go of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you tighten the bolt on the column, you know the bolt that the hub goes on? Do the wheels turn normally when you turn the wheel?
Yes. Maybe not tight enough? But it was pretty tight.

How would that be an issue with your steering wheel? Is your car continuing on the same path when you turn and let go of the steering wheel?
Because everything was fine until I put the wheel on.

Yes, if I turn left and let go, it stays left.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I put a Nardi wheel and NRG mazda hub/2.0 quick release on and now it feels like it almost no power steering. Also, after exiting a turn the wheel doesn't spin back to center. I have to manually do it.

Did I hook it up wrong? Or whats up?
Sounds like you might have overtightened something? Take the hub and the wheel off the car and make sure that they turn freely.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you might have overtightened something? Take the hub and the wheel off the car and make sure that they turn freely.
Yeah tomorrow I'm going to take off everything and re-do it.

Hmm possibly tightened the bolt to much? That would be my guess. Even if the bolt is loose it still will work normally.
Maybe .. ? Is there a proper torque spec so I can be 100% sure?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I don't think over tightening that bolt would do anything, but worth a try I guess.

You check your belts? Pump still rotate freely without the belt on?

Anything oddly stuck in the steering column?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything was fine until I installed the new setup. So unless something broke in the 20 minutes it took to swap everything over, then I don't think that's the problem.

It has to be somewhere in the new setup I installed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
power steering pump failure?
No because I don't have PS and when I turn, naturally the wheel comes back slightly, like I don't have to use force to get it back. The only difference between PS and no PS is when you're not moving.

So the OP probably overtightened something

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I don't get how he could have over tightened it to this point. I had to tighten mine extremely tight because it kept coming lose. I had to throw all my weight into my breaker bar. I do not see what the heck it could be "over tightened" on to. It's all mounted to the same steering column.

Something else is fucked up. Did you lower the column for any odd reason? It just sounds like a pump/belt failure, or something is binding that joint by the firewall.

Check your installation of the nrg pieces, it's obviously not the wheels fault. Maybe you installed the hub wrong some how?

Classy, not having power steering and having a pump/belt break on a PS car are two very different things. A PS car with a failed pump or snapped belt feels 6x-10x heavier than a non PS car or a properly depowered car.

Post a picture of your hub mounting, you might have just done something dumb. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to see the error.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds like something is binding. Maybe the hub shroud against the steering column cover? Try removing all the plastic trim bits and see if it still happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perhaps he installed it slightly off a few degrees from where the wheel originally was and now the caster is off when the wheel is straight?

it could be as simple as that. over tightening the hub nut seems out of the question because that just keeps the wheel on. Its splined to the shaft so how could that make it too tight? Unless perhaps the wheel presses up against part of the column causing a bind there when over tightening but I doubt it.

in my opinion, pull it apart again and look over everything closely, then reinstall if everything looks right. Also get an alignment because your toe is probably off slightly and could also be throwing caster out because of it.

basically, my question is, does the wheel stay straight when going straight or is it off center? If off center, does the car want to turn when you try to straighten the wheel?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed my Nardi. What happened was the white piece was not seating into the hole on the hub adapter since I had to clock it slightly to use the Nardi bolt pattern. I ended up drilling a new hole in the hub and it has worked perfect since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts