ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few questions about installing aftermarket steering wheel, well the first is will i able to use the horn anymore? second is what seize should i get 320mm or 350mm ( i do have power steering), third is is that a good idea for daily driver?
Any answers/reply would be great for me thanks!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
sure, you'll be able to keep the horn. The diameter is your choice, really. The smaller ones will give more leg room, a quicker steering ratio and more steering feel while being just a bit heavier feel. If you are tall you may not be able to see the top of the gauges.

If youre ok with loosing your airbag, theres no reason why it would be bad for daily driving.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've got a Sparco 330mm and its perfect for me, love the size and it has a slight D cut to it as well. Horn still works just fine

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also have a 330mm and I like it. No problem for daily driving and more leg room. The horn should be fine as long as you have a decent hub to mount it to.

I can't see my 80 mph speedo area, but I can see the RPMs so I know how fast I'm going.

The other thing you might be concerned about is the airbag light if you have an airbag. You can either make a resistor to keep the light from coming up (allowing your passenger side to still work if ones there), remove the bulb or airbag components, or lastly buy the daikei hub boss that does it for you with an included resistor plug

Dont forget the extra security if you also combine it with a quick release hub.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
i have a few questions about installing aftermarket steering wheel, well the first is will i able to use the horn anymore?
Hehehe- this is not a Honda! Of course you'll be able to keep your horn function very easily! You don't even have to make ghetto sheet metal contacts like you'd have to with those OBDII Hondas ;);) Oh yeah- the turn signal cancel functions perfectly also without too much work.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That's what I did... Got a HKB hub from eBay, pulled the right, drilled two new holes for the turn signal cancel switch and installed. Cake...
A few pics here - http://public.fotki.com/relittle/miata/sparcoring/

Steering wheel is a 320mm Sparco Ring.

Love the size. I've heard many say that a 320mm makes the car twitchy at highway speed, I haven't noticed that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm running a Sparco 300SN, 300mm Alcantara, wheel in my NB and Love it! Steering feel is a little heavier, but it makes for Super quick turning!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do we have a thread on here of everybody's favorite wheels? Preferably with prices? I've been considering a Momo but I don't know many brands of wheels.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes you can keep your steering wheel on any aftermarket steering wheel. I have the mazdaspeed D-cut and my car is a daily driver. I would do it again. Free up a lot of room compare to stock wheel.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Do we have a thread on here of everybody's favorite wheels? Preferably with prices? I've been considering a Momo but I don't know many brands of wheels.
steering wheel pics... who has what and why?
We also have the Garage section of the forum for you to browse for inspiration. Prices fluctuate. Google is your friend. There aren't that many different brands of aftermarket steering wheels to choose from:
  1. Momo
  2. Sparco
  3. Grant
  4. Nardi
  5. Personal
  6. ATC
  7. Spa
  8. Mazdaspeed
  9. Tomei
  10. Benetton
  11. ItalVolanti
  12. Veilside
  13. BBS
There are a few others but they really wouldn't be appropriate in a Miata.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts