ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get a Quaife gearset and starting looking at the 2 options but I really dont understand the principle of the "close" set? Why or who would want it over the wide? It seems it would be harder to launch, drive daily/intraffic, has a lower top speed, ect. At first I was thinking maybe someone with low hp or non boosted but I would think they would want the shorter first gear? It's just really got me dumbfounded here....anyone have some ideas? opinions? answers?

Close Ratio(3.636 rear):
ratiomph @7400 rpm
1st 2.350
2nd 1.550
3rd 1.240
4th 1.000
5th .881

Wide Ratio(3.636 rear):
ratiomph @7400 rpm
1st 2.564
2nd 1.670
3rd 1.277
4th 1.000
5th .794

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
Seriously if you're asking these questions and have not formulated your own opinion with your own knowledge by now, you do not need to be spending on a new and expensive gear set

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think the gear choices are heavily dependent on the type of racing you do, the power of the car, and the venue at which you normally take your car. The short type gearing would be great for a stock class 1.6 car on a short track/course where they want to be nearly redlined the whole way through. Another use could be a 9-10,000rpm car. Their powerband just starts to come on around 5-6k. The tight gearing will keep them in the 6-10k range.

If you are seriously thinking about this why don't you look into a TII setup?

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously if you're asking these questions and have not formulated your own opinion with your own knowledge by now, you do not need to be spending on a new and expensive gear set
Seriously, if you dont have any "ideas? opinions? answers?" GTFO:fp:

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the gear choices are heavily dependent on the type of racing you do, the power of the car, and the venue at which you normally take your car. The short type gearing would be great for a stock class 1.6 car on a short track/course where they want to be nearly redlined the whole way through. Another use could be a 9-10,000rpm car. Their powerband just starts to come on around 5-6k. The tight gearing will keep them in the 6-10k range.

If you are seriously thinking about this why don't you look into a TII setup?
I've never seen a miata rev to 9-10k or really even heard of one. In regards to the TII, I have but a lot of RX-7 guys I know say those aren't even solid at my power levels(450-500whp). After looking some more, first gear really isnt that big of a difference (5 mph in first gear from the wide set). My biggest concern is fifth gear, limited to the 150's, WHY???? I could I just drop in a stock 5th gear, right? Which would take me closer to 170 if needed on some straights

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
If you have 4-500 Hp the option should be simple, wide ratio. That's a whole lot of power for a car that is very tire limited. It would suck to shift that often with that much power, you're car will want to roast the tires shifting all the way to 3rd or 4th as is, why even consider making that worse?

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have 4-500 Hp the option should be simple, wide ratio. That's a whole lot of power for a car that is very tire limited. It would suck to shift that often with that much power, you're car will want to roast the tires shifting all the way to 3rd or 4th as is, why even consider making that worse?
If you look the tires are more likely to roast with the wide set......lower speed shifts in each gear except the last 2. I believe I will get the close and swap 5th gear with a stock because it will allow more speed up top, better highway gas miliage and I wont run out of steam with the supercars :cool:

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
The wide has a much larger spread between 3rd-5th. I think the whole idea with the wide is you won't be spending much time in 1st or 2nd. I couldn't imagine you would want to with all that power.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wide has a much larger spread between 3rd-5th. I think the whole idea with the wide is you won't be spending much time in 1st or 2nd. I couldn't imagine you would want to with all that power.
True, but with a modified 5th on the close set it would be the best of both worlds IMO. Either way, pushing 90 in second gear seems crazy to me, in a good way. Also, what do you guys think about take off with that tall of a first gear? gonna be a tremendous pain? I would think especially on hills :dunno:

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Go start your car in second and find out? I don't have anywhere near that power, couldn't tell you. Off boost it might really suck, specially if you have a really low compression ratio to support all that power. Just raise your idle haha.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go start your car in second and find out? I don't have anywhere near that power, couldn't tell you. Off boost it might really suck, specially if you have a really low compression ratio to support all that power. Just raise your idle haha.
Comp Ratio is 10:1 so hopefully that will help but I still cant imagine starting out in second gear of stock tranny/rear which is essentially what I'll be doing......only time will tell, time for some test and tune.:stressed:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts