ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm in USA and I'm a JDM fan boy just to set the record straight. lol!! What I what to know is how your front parking lights are being lit? I have the JDM front corner light and I notice there's 2 hole for bulbs. At night when you turn your light on, which bulb is lit up most of the time and what is the blinker? I know the fenders markers light are lit up while using the turn signal but does it say on at all time as well at night? Any help or picture would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Same as euro ones, outer are sidelight and the inner are blinkers.
I reversed mine to get "legal" driving lights without opening the barndoors.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the inner don't come on when the lights are on, they just blink when using the turn signal? Then the outer just stay on and that's all when light are on right?

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
legal driving lights without the barndoors opening?
you mean you put HID's in the turn signal spots?
am i misunderstanding, or do you have some pics?

·
Supporting Member
406 Posts
I have the same turn signal/driving light setup. The outter section of the turn signal is on with the lights, and the inner section is only on/blinking when the turn signal is activated. Its sort of a cheap DRL mod.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same turn signal/driving light setup. The outter section of the turn signal is on with the lights, and the inner section is only on/blinking when the turn signal is activated. Its sort of a cheap DRL mod.
So you saying the outter section is always on even without the light not on like a DRL like your saying? I just want to make sure of that. Also your fender marker light is that stay on at night and blink with the turn signal?

·
Registered
117 Posts
So the inner don't come on when the lights are on, they just blink when using the turn signal? Then the outer just stay on and that's all when light are on right?
The head light stalk has three modes; off, what we call parkers, and on.

Off: Everything off
Parkers: Just the outer turn signal lights
On: Pop ups open, headlights on, outer turn signal lights on

The inner turn signal lights are exactly that, turn signals.

·
Registered
531 Posts
legal driving lights without the barndoors opening?
you mean you put HID's in the turn signal spots?
am i misunderstanding, or do you have some pics?
"Legal Driving Lights" probably refers to Daytime Running Lights, which are output-restricted by law everywhere they are mandated or legal.

Low beams (barndoors up) are technically too bright for DRLs and are typically illegal to use as DRLs unless the car didn't come equipped with DRLs from the factory. Also Low Beams do not project straight ahead, which is a DRL requirement.

If a car does use the main headlamps as DRLs they are wired so the hi-beam is used and it's wired in series (1/2 light output, beam projecting straight ahead; series wiring creates a 24V load on 12V supply) or a dedicated DRL lamp is in the housing.

Allowable lamp colour varies by jurisdiction; in some places you need white lamps for DRLs in others you can use the ambers. If you are using the smaller lamps as DRLs it's mandatory to use the outermost lamps found on the front of the vehicle.

Everyone has slightly different rules (UK, EU, non-EU Europe, Japan, etc) but the above is pretty consistent.

With Canada-market Miata DRLs (mandatory when the 90 was introduced) the DRLs are the ambers in the turn signal housing, which come on as soon as you release the parking brake with the engine running, regardless of where the main lighting switch is set.

If you wanted to mimic the operation of the JDM DRLs having them wired to come on with parking brake release is an easy way to do it. Don't use the existing brake warning lamp circuit, install a switch, relay. Otherwise your DRLs would go out with any brake malfunction (when the brake lamp goes on).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts