ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question I've been pondering for quite some time. I bought as set of used Tein Flex for my 01. They were basically new, 1-2k miles and 1 autocross on them. My question is, what is the purpose of the lower spring on my coil overs? Below are photos, it's the flat (not round) spring that I have the question of.

Anyone else have these on theirs? Are these Flex's or some other type (Type RA on label, see photo)? I've yet to see others with this...

·
Supporting Member
1,291 Posts
Helper Spring ?

This is what I found ....

"Using helper springs allows the spring to stay firmly on its perch when the shock has negative or zero load. Driver should use helper springs if they experience springs coming loose from their perch and/or they can not preload the main spring because of car height issue."

Those gold Tein pillowall mounts look like for a NA not an NB.... not sure thou.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sticker says NA only so...

But to answer your question, from what I see those are tender or helper springs and those aren't the Flexes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The RA has been phased out, It was more of a hard core competition/street shock. It was also a mono-tube.
The Type Flex is a newer design twin tube and intended more for occasional trips to the track...not to be confused with Mono-Flex..which is surprise...a mono-tube...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did a lot of research h recently when I found a set of these for sale locally. There is very little information. These are na. They are extremely rare, as I can not find any reference on the internet to these being available for a Miata, other than a part list on an obscure page on teins website. I contacted tein, and these are still rebuildable by tein japan, but its not the cheapest due to shipping. I could not find spring rates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts