ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is lowered 1.5" with springs which is not enough for me. I'm getting coilovers (already ordered) and plan to go lower. Maybe 3" lower all around. Do I need an oil pan skid plate? Am I going to pound the **** out of the bottom of my car lowered 3"? Where I live the roads are pretty good. I do not DD the car, but on occasion will take it on long trips down the freeway and could run into some bad roads.

I've had other lowered cars in the past and never had any major problems. I even had a bug that was dropped 4", but I've heard on the Miata you can bust out the oil pan. Is this something I should be worried about at 3" drop? 4" drop?

/flame suit on

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I can't justify $130 for a skid plate. Take a template to a local shop and have them make/weld it for you. Heard of it being as low as $50 for the job.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who would make this? I'm used to bolt on parts... I know a muffler shop can make a custom exhaust, but don't know where to go to get a metal piece made.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Seeing as you have to pull the motor to swap the oil pan I'd say yes. The peace of mind it will provide is priceless. Once you get low enough simple things like lane dots can become deadly. I'm barelly mod slammed, and the car takes a beating. I was saddened to see how bad my once perfect frame rails look after just 3k miles of driving around ~12" hub to fender.

That pan linked is awesome because you don't have to lift the motor like the garagestar piece. Putting washers user your motor mounts is whack. That piece is worth the premium IMHO.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Man, that thing is more like 200 with shipping! The garage star plate was only 80 bucks shipped, so they can be made for cheap!

additional: does anyone have pics of the studio piece after driving it for quite a few miles to show any bending/cracks/etc from abuse?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
So, the Studio piece will let your pan hold up just fine even without the engine raised? I know you dont have to raise it with the Studio plate, but I was thinking it wouldn't fully secure the oil pan. Hmm...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seeing as you have to pull the motor to swap the oil pan I'd say yes. The peace of mind it will provide is priceless. Once you get low enough simple things like lane dots can become deadly. I'm barelly mod slammed, and the car takes a beating. I was saddened to see how bad my once perfect frame rails look after just 3k miles of driving around ~12" hub to fender.

That pan linked is awesome because you don't have to lift the motor like the garagestar piece. Putting washers user your motor mounts is whack. That piece is worth the premium IMHO.
Damn...this is pretty convincing. I've already contacted these guys about the plate. Just FYI to everyone, it was $200 when I looked a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they've lowered the price and I bet the more people buy them, the lower it will go.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Hard Park Inc makes 5mm raised motor mounts and 3mm shortened differential mounts to help keep your drivetrain aligned while raising it. Just make sure to buy new grade 12 bolts to go through the motor mounts.

check the sub sponsors to find them

edit: answering your question from the mod slammed thread

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
That hardpark guy stole peoples money, left the state, and has made zero efforts to rectify anything. He's a criminal. He made shitty parts that have had numberous reported failures. Those people with failures were lucky they got anything at all in the first place, and there were countless long delays. People in the transaction resolution thread are trying to gather people to notify the owners probation officer. Do not do business with him.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
edited: That original guy about the engine just didn't update his thread until half a year later. Everyone elses problems I dont know about other than breaking bolts. I recieved my mounts within the same week of ordering them though. Plus he can always look for them second hand on the forum in the WTB section

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at hardpark inc's blog or whatever that is. Nothing has been posted since last March. Thanks for any info though. I'm leery about doing business with anyone that sells car parts due to some bad experiences. These guys from studio contacted me right back on email. I think I'm going to order that skid plate. It looks like a good piece of gear.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Just post up a WTB ad. That way you dont have to deal with shady people, and you can deal with people that respond to you right away then

just searched hardpark inc. He last posted something in last half of August 2011, but last logged in Jan 4th 2012

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's too bad you're not local to socal or else you'd be able to pick up the studio one without shipping. That thing is super beefy and much easier to install than the garagestar one

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I recommend the garagestar plate. It's sturdy, fairly inexpensive, and can be removed if you need to access the bottom of your motor w/o removing it completely. The only modification I did to mine was a small hole I can use to access the oil drain bolt without removing the entire plate each time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Studio FTW. You dont have to raise your motor, it acts as a subframe brace since its damn tank, and its only 130!

I contacted them for questions and they were very helpful. I will be ordering soon. No thanks to washers holding my engine up to bolt in an $80 plate. I want the one that looks like a 10 STOP signs welded together and bent around to cover everything!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts