ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I had been wondering about this...

Could you (or could you not) place the stock MAF sensor after the turbo? As in, run it blow-through rather than draw-through? I mean, it's still metering air, so what would it care?

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
BRP does it for their kits. Unless you will run crazy amounts of boost, I dont see why not. You could also use a VTA BOV

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
brp has the afm AFTER the turbo?

IMO, its a bad design, and a bad idea. The AFM is plastic. compressed air out of your turbo is hot. This is why flyin miata moved the plastic BOV from directly after the turbo to after the intercooler. They would melt because of the heat overtime and break. The AFM is much more delicate than the BOV. If putting the AFM on either side of the turbo has the same effect, why subject it to the heat?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do this if it doesn't matter much to the AFM (heat aside, for a moment)?

Simple. It would make things much easier to route, as in, air filter at the turbo inlet and not worry about IC piping and the AFM interfering with one another.

I'm not planning on running terribly high amounts of boost, but thinking about the assumed "delicacy" of the AFM, why not run one off of, say, an FC RX-7? From what I read, I understand that the non-turbo FC AFM works, so I'm thinking an AFM from a Turbo II or something of that sort might work.

Me doing this as cheaply as possible (not necessarily because I'm a cheapskate, but I'm curious to see how inexepensively I can do this) chances are that I'll be giving it a shot with the stock AFM, either between the turbo and the IC, or after the IC, depending on what IC I end up using and how IC piping will be routed.

If anyone has more input on this, please, drop some knowledge on the sit'cha'ayshun 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
peolpe use the rx7 afm to control larger injectors via bigger opening and stiffer spring rate i would still keep it on the draw side even thought the case is metal and it is check people there is electronic circiutry there andthe possiblity for leaks and over laoded circiut baords beocuse they are not issloated from the haet. rx7 to controll bigger injectors and WI is about the cheapest i oculd figure to do it not 1000 dollars for ecu or IC just some WI stuff from snow and an rx7 afm, some supra 310's and a rrfpr and 220+ whp is easily in reach. and you come in at less than 2000 dollars if you buy all the right stuff( no mistakes) and everyhting but the injectors and afm of ebay. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm all about people blazing new trails. Doing things that others say shouldn't be done is how we have found advancements.

however, recognize that doing things on the cheap can bite you in the ass if you have to replace your AFM down the road...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheapskate BEN!! :mrgreen: lol JK

Better not get rid of the slowata
No worries mate, looks like the slowata is here to stay. I hung out with Brad for several hours tonight, and that was rather...umm...persuasive :) :) :)

As far as setup, I have two sources for an IC so far, one is cheap, the other is free, so I'm good there :wink:

My biggest concern right now is manifold, because that will *probably* be the most expensive individual component and will determine several things, such as type of turbo, etc.

Injectors, maybe Supra, maybe Turbo MX-6, we'll see. Anyone know the stock flow rate of NA 1.8L injectors?

Trying not to make this into a "my upcoming turbo build" thread...

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Once again, I am throwing Protege info into a Miata thread but...

Relocating the MAF to the cold pipe on a Mazdaspeed Protege does wonders for throttle responce and cleans up the A/F some on a otherwise stock setup.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105437&highlight=relocated+maf

If you put the BOV before the MAF you can vent to air without recirculating, which is nice if you are out of room under your hood. There is a good chance this will slowly ruin your MAF, but I know someone who's had a MAF on the cold side for more than two years with no trouble at 20+ psi. Just something to think about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts