ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1994 miata on my title.. says 1.6L, however recent when i was doing valve gasket change, I have purchased from auto zone 1.6l gasket, but didn't fit.. so went back and asked for 1.8l valve gasket. that's when i found out my car engine was 1.8l engine.. but my main concern is now... if my car is 1.8L engine.. and chassis is 1.6L. and i need new clutch.. which yr do i have to look up my clutch for.. and what is the recommendations? please help;;

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've got a 94 miata and on my title it doesn't say anything about how many liters the motor is.. Must be a Texas thing? Regardless, it sounds like your car is probably a 1.8 since 94-97s were all 1.8s from the factory. There should be a VINs stamped on the frame, tranny, and motor somewhere that should all match if your car is all original, and you should be able to call Mazda to see where what year car each of the parts came from.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it seemed like my motor was swapped... and yes texas requires on the title with engine size sometimes... for the older car most of the parts. but the thing is my chasis is 1.6 but title shows 1.6L mazda Miata 1994. and engine when i was doing the gasket change it was 1.8L gasket... is it possible 1.6tranny and the clutch fits 1.8 engine? o_O;;; im so freaking confused... and down here MAZDA DEALERSHIP SUCKS SO BAD.. Terrible on everything...

·
Registered
586 Posts
If it's '94 on the title and it has 1.8, then it's a regular na8. Maybe they just messed up at the DMV and put 1.6 instead of 1.8 on the title... If any doubt, just take off the clutch and take it to auto zone and see which one matches.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
your confusing yourself too much. it is probably a simple data entry error. your car is a '94, thus you have a 1.8L motor. the 1.6L only came on 89-93.

this is further verified by the fact that you clearly bought a 1.6L gasket which does not fit. you replaced it with the proper 1.8L and voila!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Which dashboard do you have? The 1.6L cars have a different one than the 1.8L cars. You've determined the engine size, look inside the car and determine the chassis that way. If you still don't know, take the clutch out and take it to the parts store to figure out what you need. 1.6L clutch and flywheel will fit a 1.8 engine so comparing would be the safest option.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Which dashboard do you have? The 1.6L cars have a different one than the 1.8L cars. You've determined the engine size, look inside the car and determine the chassis that way. If you still don't know, take the clutch out and take it to the parts store to figure out what you need. 1.6L clutch and flywheel will fit a 1.8 engine so comparing would be the safest option.

wait, but i have a 1.6 dash in my car and it's a 94?? and i have no VIN on the dash.. but i have a 1.8 engine?? OMG!!

:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VIN is 1.6 clearly says it. however 1.8L engine under my hood WTF... i freaking hate my life... i love miata but never knew ... it was so hard to work on.. : <

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ok, so it has a 1.8 swap. To find out what model clutch take it off and take it to auto zone and compare with both 1.6 & 1.8

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
this is crazy..

1.8 has CAS on exhaust side...passenger side airbag...7" rear end

1.6 has CAS on intake side...no passenger side airbag..6" rear end

1.6 has MAZDA decal on drivers side front of the bumper cover on the 90-92...93 started with the toilet bowl emblem on the front bumper cover in the center

if it has an engine swap to a 1.8, it is not a 94...94 door panels have the door pocket at the rear and integrated speaker covers...90-93 have removable speaker covers

·
Registered
933 Posts
Maybe ure cars isn't a 94............did u ever think of that? This thread is just to much lol

·
LL cool Dave
2,602 Posts
You have 1994 1.8l that was sold in 1993 and the DMV probably did a mixed up

1 - 20 of 28 Posts