ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has become conventional wisdom that eating out for sushi, or seafood in general, is not a good idea on Sundays since fish markets are closed on Sundays. This means that the fish you eat is at least a day old. On other days, you usually get to eat what was delivered to the restaurant that morning.

So my question is, does this apply to other items as well? Specifically, prime rib and steak? My first inclination is that it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm about to make Sunday night reservations at a high-end prime rib place, but am wondering if I'll be better off going on Saturday night instead, if for no other reason than fresher food.

Thoughts?

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Most meat once cut off the carcass is stamped its grade then vacume sealed in plastic and dated. Thats how grocery stores get theirs anyhow.

Chances are, when you make reservations there will not be some cow out back which gets shot, skinned, cleaned, and butchered and slapped on the grill when you order your meal. If it is indeed a high end place, I wouldnt worry about you meat being older then it should.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrm. good point, both of you! i didnt think of either, but knew there was something out there i was missing. i'm booking on sunday night.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Chances are, when you make reservations there will not be some cow out back which gets shot, skinned, cleaned, and butchered and slapped on the grill when you order your meal. If it is indeed a high end place, I wouldnt worry about you meat being older then it should.
thanks for the reminder, I really need to make my slaughter house restaraunt a realality...

Where the cows are sedated and the cut of meat is fresh off bovine the while its still alive. Yeah, thats whats up.

HAhahA

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I crave Chick Fila A on Sundays....pisses me off.
I'm not a huge fan of Sushi unless I'm either in a big town that has tons of good restaurants or near the sea. Being 4.5hrs from the Gulf of Mexico makes finding truly fresh fish a tough job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It has become conventional wisdom that eating out for sushi, or seafood in general, is not a good idea on Sundays since fish markets are closed on Sundays. This means that the fish you eat is at least a day old. On other days, you usually get to eat what was delivered to the restaurant that morning.

So my question is, does this apply to other items as well? Specifically, prime rib and steak? My first inclination is that it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm about to make Sunday night reservations at a high-end prime rib place, but am wondering if I'll be better off going on Saturday night instead, if for no other reason than fresher food.

Thoughts?
A lot of sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill off any potential bacteria/parasites. I've ordered sushi grade fish from www.catalinaop.com and the quality is every bit as good as any sushi restaurant I've been to.

As far as steak is concerned, most high end steak houses actually age their meat, with dry aging being the preferred/more expensive route. So, the opposite applies for steaks as it does for other meats. Granted, you don't want meat that's sitting around in some uncontrolled environment, but properly aged steak generally tastes better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts