ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to see if anyone here has done a direct tow style set up on their NA, and which kit they used.

im looking to start towing my miata to track days, so im thinking direct tow would work the best due to lack of space for a trailer.

much appreciated.

_Rylee

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Lots of RV people do it, most of the kits are universal. I was thinking about doing this and I still might if I need at some point, I would just use a used kit from craigslist or get the $70 walmart one. People say disconnect the drivetrain, I've heard undoing the driveshaft from the diff and just ziptie that to the ppf is the best way, but at the same time there are people who have driven cross country for years towing behind their RV and don't do a thing to the car. Some claim the trans will not be lubed properly, but those who have done it claim they have never had a problem.

Some things to think about, in some states the car is required to be registered and insured, in others it is just a trailer and needs no registration or insurance. In California the vehicle is required to be registered and insured but talking with one of the guys from XDC he has been flat towing for years and the car is a crazy aggressive drift car, he has never been stopped and never had a problem, claims cops just don't know the law so he never has issues.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
If its in the budget, look for one of those trailers that pick up the front wheels and let the rear wheels roll.

Kinda like this one. They don't take up much room and won't require you to fit a tow bar on the miata.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys, my car is insured and registered, so I think that's gonna be fine. I don't have the slightest bit of room for a trailer dolly , or car hauler . My bumper is only. 2 bolts anyways and a few zip ties so I feel I'll be fine with the direct tow bar.

Can you post the links to that 70$ bar you were talkin about ??

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, my car is insured and registered, so I think that's gonna be fine. I don't have the slightest bit of room for a trailer dolly , or car hauler . My bumper is only. 2 bolts anyways and a few zip ties so I feel I'll be fine with the direct tow bar.

Can you post the links to that 70$ bar you were talkin about ??

Thanks again.
Yeah, my bumper comes off with 2 bolts as well, I need to make a bash bar for under the bumper so I figured I would just make mounts on that for the tow bar and throw the bumper in the van. The $70 bar is at walmart, I just swung by their automotive department to see what they had, but for a little dinky miata I'm sure it is enough. Only problem might be you have to get creative with mounts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If its in the budget, look for one of those trailers that pick up the front wheels and let the rear wheels roll.

Kinda like this one. They don't take up much room and won't require you to fit a tow bar on the miata.
It's called a tow dolly. Most states don't require them to be registered like a trailer, and you can usually find them for $400-600 used. More expensive than a universal direct tow setup, but can be used to tow more than just one car. I've pulled a half dozen cars with rented or borrowed tow dollies and it's probably the best way to drag a car without a big diesel truck and monster trailer...

...I will mention that most states require a car be registered and street legal if any of the wheels touch the ground, so you can't legally tow dolly/direct tow a track-only car....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's called a tow dolly. Most states don't require them to be registered like a trailer, and you can usually find them for $400-600 used. More expensive than a universal direct tow setup, but can be used to tow more than just one car. I've pulled a half dozen cars with rented or borrowed tow dollies and it's probably the best way to drag a car without a big diesel truck and monster trailer...

...I will mention that most states require a car be registered and street legal if any of the wheels touch the ground, so you can't legally tow dolly/direct tow a track-only car....
My car is plated and registered, towing it only due to possible carnage at drift events.

im thinking direct tow again due to limited space, ( tow dolly was first idea) thanks for the imput, if someone could post a pic of their miata direct tow system that'd be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Bad idea, the pinion bearing in the diff does not have any oil on it when you tow this way. I had the diff fail 40 miles after a 350 mile tow on a dolly.

I have flat towed my Miata with no problems behind a 2007 Colorado with the 5 cylinder.

The part bolted to the car I got from a co-worker so I have no idea what brand it is. The rest I bought from Uhaul for about a $100, then had to make it fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car is plated and registered, towing it only due to possible carnage at drift events.
The downside to flat towing is the carnage from a wreck may prevent you from being able to tow it home. If I was drifting I would use a trailer.

The reason I flat tow is for mechanical failures(which just happened at my last event, freeze plug at the back of the block came out)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts