ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A few months ago, I noticed some wear on the inside of my Works Bell QRS (their discontinued thin quick release) and started looking for a spare. I discovered that it was discontinued and started collecting quick releases.

I ended up having 5 in the shop.

What could I do but take a ton of measurements, photos, and some short and crappy videos of the various QRs? It's not impossible to find these things online, but having them head to head with the same types of measurements is not so common. I did three blog posts.

revlimiter.net Quick Release Shootout part 1 - thick (standard) QRs from Works Bell and NRG

revlimiter.net Quick Release Shootout part 2 - thin QRs from Works Bell, NRG, and the $16 ebay model

Hub Adapter Dual - Daikei tall boss vs Works Bell short hub

Sorry for having three of them. It was just way way too much info for a single post. Splitting it into two seemed best. And then I realized I had a pair of hub adapters, so I did a short comparison of those for a part three.

It's a ton of info and also too much to include here. Hell, it took me 2 days to type up those posts by themselves. But I also don't wanna do a clickbait forum post and only put links, so here's the summary.

Winners and Losers

ebay $16 QR

• Good: It was the thinnest, lightest, and cheapest
  • Bad: It didn’t bolt up. The mounting holes on my example were not in the right spots

NRG slim QR

• Good: Affordable, thin, and easy to purchase. Lots of enthusiasts love this particular QR.
  • Bad: My example didn’t actually, you know, work.

Works Bell QRS

• Good: Positive attachment, thin, very robust. I truly love this QR. It’s been a reliable friend for around 8 years.
  • Bad: Discontinued and rare. If you want one… you probably can’t find it. No, I'm not selling mine.

NRG Gen 3 Quick Release

• Good: Super strong attachment. Affordable and widely available.
  • Bad: SUPER heavy. It adds 1.2 lbs to the steering wheel itself. And my example needed all of the horn wiring redone.

Works Bell Rapfix2

• Good: Super strong attachment. Easy to use. Not overly bulky.
  • Bad: Expensive. If you don’t buy from an Authorized Dealer, you might get a fake.

If you wanna see the full review, head over to my blog and check it out. I've not put this much effort into a blog series since I did a jack stand comparison in 2010. I hope everyone enjoys.

revlimiter.net Quick Release Shootout

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Haven't read over each review in detail but no doubt another quality review that will help people for years to come, thanks Adam! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice write up! Been in the market for a slim QR. I was planning on getting the NRG but after your review more than likely not, pretty disappointing... Think it was a manufacture defect? Also watched the video of the regular NRG QR, at the end when you tugged on it, it seemed pretty flimsy :(.

Thanks for being a badass :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
+1 nice write up. I just installed an NRG 2.5 QR.

I didn't even know those gasket things were to ground the wires (oops, don't think I could have used it either way though) but that makes sense now. With the NRG 2.5 QR, I just cut the black wire and grounded that between the WB Hub and QR, everything else was plug and play.

·
Vendor
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice write up! Been in the market for a slim QR. I was planning on getting the NRG but after your review more than likely not, pretty disappointing... Think it was a manufacture defect? Also watched the video of the regular NRG QR, at the end when you tugged on it, it seemed pretty flimsy :(.

Thanks for being a badass :icon_cheers:
I'm sure my thin NRG QR was a manufacturing defect. The cast piece was just too thick to fit in the receiver. It was also pretty roughly cast.

As for the thick NRG... it's okay. It's not the same quality as WB, but it's not bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lol at "probably not" Boss Kit.

I have a rapfix2. I love it. So much so i bought a 2nd to do quickie wheels swaps for my suede wheel at trackdays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts