ClubRoadster.net banner

421 - 440 of 695 Posts

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #422 (Edited)
Tons of wisdom here, and you have been trying to impart it in the slew of s2000 vs ? threads recently. Do you have a blog? If not, I think you should.

Of course, your NBs interior looks great. :D
I think this car is my roadster Muse. And the club car direction is great. I haven't been able to find a direction I tell people I am going with it.

I tell the a street/ track car. But I want more refinements than just taking stuff out. Its being simple and light but also classy. I know my car is going to have a v6 but I may go irtb with it eventually.

Thank you for having and building this car. I wish my car was not brg sometimes so I could bring myself to paint it white.
Thanks guys :icon_cheers:
No blog yet. However, I would like to eventually start one when I have some more free time.

Those are roughly the specs I'm considering for my cams. Can you squeeze 10mm lift on the factory basecircle, and not modify the head (grinding out interference areas around lifters, that is).

Alternatively, you might consider just doing the shave and fooling around with trumpet lengths - probably worth 10 whp.

Or just retune for E85.
Maruha offers 10mm lift cams with a smaller base circle so no head modifications are required other than switching to shim under bucket lifters.

I don't really want to run e85 as it is not widely available here. 93 octane is easily available at just about every gas station. I am not near the detonation threshold by any means. When on the dyno we advanced timing up top by as much as 5' and saw no change in power. I haven't done a terrible amount of research about e85, but I wonder how much more power it would be worth with the extra energy it contains over gasoline.

Also, I am thinking about contacting Robello racing about a worked head. I guess they do their own cam grinds also, but do not publish specs? This is all hearsay, so no way to know for sure without calling. I just haven't done so yet because I am not ready to pull the trigger on that project. If I could pull 170'ish whp using a factory BP05 block and pump gas I would be really happy.

Needs some Takata Harnesses to go with that green ^_^
If they weren't so over priced I'd definitely consider it. I have something in store for my seats however that should finish the green off nicely.

I have also had a great deal of questions about my setup, so here is an up-to-date list of specs of how the car currently sits:

Engine:

2002 Block 10:1 compression
BP5A JDM Intake Camshaft
TWM 45mm Individual Throttle Bodies
36 lb Fuel Injectors
ITG Sausage filter and backing plate
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

Adaptronics Standalone ECU
Maruha VP Race Header
Racing Beat Resonated Race Pipe 2.375"
Jet's Integral Kobe Muffler 2.375"
6.2 lb Spec Billet Pressure Plate
7.1 lb Fidanza Flywheel
1.3 lb Clutchnet Unsprung Street Disk
Golden Eagle Vacuum Manifold
Chikara Motorsports Oil Catch Can
Koyo 52mm Radiator
Koyo 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap
Mishimoto Slim Fan
Samco Radiator Hoses
Flyin Miata Oil Cooler Kit
Beatrush Radiator Cooling Panel

Dyno'ed at 152 whp / 122 ft / lbs with old header (Maxim Works) suspect the Maruha Header was good for another 3-4 whp.

Suspension / Drivetrain:

4.77 Final Drive Ring and Pinion
Torsen Type II Limited Slip Differential
Tein Flex Coilovers with 8kg F and 6kg R springs
Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings Master Kit
Racing Beat Hollow 1.125" Front Sway Bar
Racing Beat Front Sway Bar Reinforcement Brace and Blocks
99 Miata Sport 12mm Rear Sway Bar
Racing Beat Sway Bar Endlinks Front and Rear
Carbotech XP8 Pads Front and Rear
Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Stainless Steel Braided Clutch Line
16x8 +38 Advan RG-II Wheels in Silver
Blox Black Aluminum Lug Nuts
215/45/16 Kuhmo XS Tires
ATE Super Blue Hydraulic Fluid
Powder Coated Control Arms and Subframes
3M Undercoated Underbody
Redline MT-90 Transmission Fluid
Redline 75w90 Differential Fluid

Exterior:

Garage Vary Front Lip
AutoKonexion Version 1 Duckbill Trunk
OEM Mazda Side Skirts
2004-2005 Mazdaspeed Miata Rear Lip
Rennen Metal Front and Rear Tow Hooks
2001+ Tail Lights
OEM Miata Hard Top

Interior:

Momo Mod 78 350mm Suede Steering Wheel
Daikei Steering Wheel Hub
NRG Version 1.5 Quick Release
Mazdaspeed White Horn Button
Bride Vios III Low Max Seat
Bride Low Max Type LF Seat Rail
Crow Enterprises 5 Point Harness
Hard Dog M2 Sport Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Hard Dog Harness Bar
Nielex Shift Knob
Joyfast Stainless E-Brake Button
Rev9 M2-1002 Pedals
Beatrush Hard Top Latches
Rennel Metal Radio Blanking Plate
Bey Krause Fire Extinguisher Mount and Extinguisher
!njoy Visor Blanking Plates
RedlineGoods Green Stitched Napa Leather Shift Boot
RedlineGoods Green Stitched Napa Leather E-Brake Boot
RedlineGoods Green Stitched Napa Leather Center Console Cover
RedlineGoods Green Stitched Napa Leather Door Handle Covers
RedlineGoods Green Stitched Napa Leather A-Pillar Covers
RedlineGoods Green Stitched Napa Leather Center Pillar Cover

Misc:

De-powered Steering Rack
Cruise Control Deleted
A/C Deleted
Stereo Deleted
Soft Top Deleted
Trunk stripped

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
This thing needs a Speed Hunters Feature

#FEATURETHIS

lol
Thanks man. I actually submitted this and my NA, but neither got picked :?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I dunno man I don't think a single gas station near us actually sells e85. I'd just stick to chevron 93. Unless you have hook ups to race gas?

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
My "build" has been so slow, and much harder this time around. I've kinda lost some steam ... coming in here and re-reading your thread makes me happy and feel better.

I love you car, truly. its always a pleasure reading an update and I looking forward to seeing/hearing more.

/mancrush
:icon_cheers:

I dunno man I don't think a single gas station near us actually sells e85. I'd just stick to chevron 93. Unless you have hook ups to race gas?
Yeah I am not sure either to be honest. You are from CT?

You should take a look at the Takata Drift II or III harnesses. They are way more affordable than the other Takata.
What are the specs of the RPF1 on the Rx7?
I'm pretty sure those are more of a "street" style harness and do not use a cam lock.

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #429 (Edited)
**12/16/2012**

Some small updates and pictures. Here are a couple shots from an early winter night when I met up with a friend of mine:

Picked up some new mirrors:

Also got some Garage Star light weight pulleys:

That's it for now. Projects for the car are going to slow down over the winter months. I have some updated touches coming for the interior after Christmas, so stay tuned.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Oh and Merry Christmas :littlepony:

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
feel any difference with the light weight pulley quin??
I only picked the car up from storage, drove it home, put the pulleys on, and drove it back. However, in the short period of time driving it, I did feel a slight difference. The engine did seem a little happier.

if you add a smaller size crank pulley the car will oull even harder, i tried it on an NA miata and it was fun to drive the car
I am contemplating getting the lightened crank pulley that 949 Racing offers as it actually has a harmonic damper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Such a clean car. Question. Which is more fun to drive, the NB with ITB's or the NA with the turbo set-up? I'm contemplating which way to go with my 02 NB, but not having any local miatas that have any performance mods to speak of, I haven't been able to experience an ITB or turbo set-up.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I only picked the car up from storage, drove it home, put the pulleys on, and drove it back. However, in the short period of time driving it, I did feel a slight difference. The engine did seem a little happier.

I am contemplating getting the lightened crank pulley that 949 Racing offers as it actually has a harmonic damper.
cool. You will feel the difference!! for sure!!!

I LOVE YOUR NB~

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
Such a clean car. Question. Which is more fun to drive, the NB with ITB's or the NA with the turbo set-up? I'm contemplating which way to go with my 02 NB, but not having any local miatas that have any performance mods to speak of, I haven't been able to experience an ITB or turbo set-up.
Each car is fun in their own way, which is why I went in different directions with both builds. I love my NB for the better chassis, response, and all out cornering speeds. It has just enough refinement to be comfortable, but has that club racer feel to it. The mechanical grip limits of the car far surpasses my stock S2000's, with the same Kuhmo XS tires. The ITB's make the engine and driving experience more exciting, but are definitely a little more work. The car is predictable, does what you tell it do it, and inspires confidence allowing to keep pushing it comfortably. My NA is different. With about 100 whp more and the old tired A048's I have on it, it has a hard time going straight. Granted new tires will definitely calm it's wild nature down, I didn't want to buy new tires after getting it running again this fall just so it can sit on them over the winter. In all honesty, I like that the car is a little crazy. Oversteer is cool, looks cool, and is fun to drive with if you are comfortable with it. Even though the engine on my NA is very quiet compared to my NB, the cabin is much more noisier because of it's lack of sound deadening and refinement. I will argue till the day I die that the NB is a better car over the NA hands down. The only reason I justified keeping my NA was for its more old school presence. I always wanted something retro, but working on older cars sucks and most older cars drive like butt. My NA fulfilled that craving for something retro, but still being a driver's car. For a street car, a bolt on turbo is a lot less work and is nice because it keeps the engine quiet. Cruise around normal and just put your foot down for that power on tap when you want it. At 156 whp, my NB is still a pinch slower than my S2000, so you are working that motor to get it moving. At WOT, the ITB's make noise and draw more attention to you. Both are a blast to drive and both fill different needs. However, if I could only keep one, I'd keep my NB.

cool. You will feel the difference!! for sure!!!

I LOVE YOUR NB~
Thanks man :D

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
Where did you pick up those mirrors?
A member on here. However, they are basically APR mirrors with Miata base adapters that I believe Slick Auto made? 949 Racing, MiataRoadster, Slick Auto, etc. all retail them.

·
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
**Update 2/2/2013**

Being in the middle of winter and having the roads covered in **** 98% of the time, means the cars have to stay put in their resting places and myself feeling stir crazy. My close friend and tuner is back in the country now and prior to his arrival we have been discussing adding a set of more aggressive camshafts to the car. Recently, I purchased Slevin's Maruha 264 / 264 10mm lift cams. I want this to be a more bolt on affair, so I also purchased a spare BP4W to build so I can just swap them over and minimize downtime. As luck would have it, we had warm front with 50 F' temps and a good amount of rain this past week, which melted most of the snow and washed away the salt and chemicals on the roads. I took the opportunity to swap the NB out of storage with the FD and get this head project going. I want to shave the head and raise compression as much as possible. It seems that there are many opinions on what is feasible, not many of them dealing with 10:1 compression and 10 mm lift cams. So within the next day or so, we are going to be puttying the pistons to see approximately how much we can shave off the head before things start to collide. After that the head is going to the machine shop to be checked, hot tanked, and shaved. To compliment the cams I have some Toda Cam gears, Supertech Valve Springs and Titanium retainers, Mazdaspeed SUB's, and a Gates Racing Timing Belt on their way. As of yesterday:

Since I haven't had the car home in over a month, I took the opportunity to finally install two little gems that I have had sitting around taunting me to go in since Christmas.

To finish my stitched leather interior, I ended up taking my gauge hood to an upholsterer to ensure a professional finish. I have seen wrapped gauge hoods either look the part or like utter **** based solely off of the install. I struggled a lot with doing all the other leather wraps myself and saw how even more of a challenge the hood was going to be after mocking it up. Needless to say, the 50.00 for a pro to do it was well worth the money spent saving the time and frustration of doing it myself.

In addition, my wonderful wife had gotten me a steering wheel for Christmas that I knew was a must have for my interior the moment I first saw it:

Interesting when side by side with my Momo Mod 78. Both wheels are 350mm, but the beefier grip on the Personal makes it look more like a 360mm.

Everything installed:

It's simply amazing how the tiniest of details can have such a large impact. After installing these last couple pieces I sat in the driver's seat admiring the interior details as the smell of fresh leather filled my nose. I got that sensation of "Oh yeah, this feels right". Perhaps the sensation was that much more uplifting due to the winter taking its toll on my mental state of mind, but boy was it very much needed. The drive home from storage the night before also helped. The journey that I have taken with this car has been such a long one. This car is my perfect roadster and I absolutely adore it. It is a terrible shame to have so much downtime during the winter months year after year. Almost twenty eight years of Connecticut winters, I am now at the point where I am ready to move somewhere warmer. Somewhere cars can be enjoyed almost year around. Right now, North Carolina is looking pretty tempting. For the sake of not rambling I will leave this one off here, but God it feels good to experience the car life again. More to come, so stay tuned.

421 - 440 of 695 Posts