ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
if you wanna spend the money go ahead. you can buy the filter bracket at autozone or ebay, get a cone filter at any auto parts store and i used a pvc 180 elbow from homedepot, painted black. Think what you want of it but it works just as well for a quarter of the price.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just grabbed an MAF adapter from (choose your autoparts store) And strapped on a cone filter. just make sure the filter isnt too tall or you will have clearance issues with the brake master cylinder.

-Jeremy

(edit) but if your set on just buying a bolt in... another option is K&N.. they have a kit similar to Racingbeat but made of a plastic material... my guess is less heatsoak with plastic.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I thought of doing a setup like that. But i couldnt find sutable securing points. What did you use to secure it?

-Jeremy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i can buy that adapter any where??? will the home depot version still have the claim of " 6 hp gain" ?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
what is diff from what i did verse racing beats setup besides it being metal which gets hotter than pvc and it having their name on it. I mean c'mon, what is so special about their intake.

·
Registered
514 Posts
^^ its like those NOS stickers y0... adds 20hp to your car instantly when you have RB cast in to the Intake piping

-Jeremy

·
Registered
514 Posts
As an arguement for the 6hp gain... um.. have ya seen the stock airbox. The inlet tube on that sucker is about 2in diameter, and that may be giving it credit here... (I do however like the location of it tucked nicely in to the fender gap) But its the sound baffles and what not, that kill it. However... i think ANY thing less restrictive will free up HP. A stock miata is practically sucking through a straw.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
what is diff from what i did verse racing beats setup besides it being metal which gets hotter than pvc and it having their name on it. I mean c'mon, what is so special about their intake.
....honestly, how much time does the air comming into the filter spend inside that aluminum U-bend. IMO, not enough to become hot...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
^^ its like those NOS stickers y0... adds 20hp to your car instantly when you have RB cast in to the Intake piping

-Jeremy
...that's it. yes, the intake is designed to be simple to use, simple in design, but also effective.
$180-190 isn't that bad for an intake kit these days. You can buy the Jackson Racing Intake Kit for like $300

...well do you expect Racing Beat to use super dope PVC piping with a Racing Beat sticker on it? What would that say about the quality of their product....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts