ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is about 300 miles away from hitting 50k, and is my daily driver. It sees no more than about 15 miles per day at most, 5 days a week, on residential streets where the max speed limit is 40mph. As far as I know, it has never been to any track of any kind. That's not saying that it won't in the future though. ;)

Anyway, I'm getting a new set of wheels (15x7 +30mm) which will be here Friday. I hope to get them put on this coming weekend. I'll be running my Azenis 205/50's on them. What I want to do is get the car dropped about an inch so it will look better with the new wheels. Of course, better handling is always a good thing as well.

As for the suspension, everything is stock, springs, shocks, sways, bushings, etc, etc... The only thing I've done was install shock tower braces front and rear shortly after I bought the car 1.5 years ago. It's the base suspension, but it's still just as responsive and firm as the day I got it. In fact, I've barely put 5k miles on it over the past 18 months.

FWIW, I just recently test drove a '07 Miata, '07 Honda S2000, and an '07 BMW Z4. Out of all three of those cars, my '02 still felt much tighter and responsive. To me, my car felt much better than the rest.

Also, I plan on upgrading the shocks and sway bars eventually, maybe in another 6 months or so. So it's not like I'm just looking for an easy way out just to make the car look good. This is all stuff that I have planned on doing for quite some time, and with the new wheels on the way, it's making me get my butt in gear to finally do something about it all. And yes, I know I'll have to get a 4-wheel alighnment when I get the springs, and again when I get the shocks, but that's no biggy.

So my question is this...

Would it be safe to say that I can go ahead and buy/install these RB Street springs and run them on the stock shocks for about 6 months or so until I can upgrade the shocks? This is what RB claims, as long as the stock shocks aren't "tired", which I really don't think mine are.

Also, not really related, but... Do you think I might have to roll the fenders at all with the car sitting an inch lower from stock with these new 15x7 +30mm offset wheels?

Any help and information you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! ;)

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Stock shocks aren't made to handle a shorter stroke, however, if RB says you can, I guess its possible. Just don't be surprised if your stockers blow b/c of it.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
I'd probably upgrade the bumpstops while you're at it. Or, just wait until you can afford shocks AND springs. It sucks, but I was going to force myself to do it before I decided I wanted coilovers.

Edit: Also, I seriously doubt the wheels are going to rub after the drop. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
As far as I know, it has never been to any track of any kind. That's not saying that it won't in the future though. ;)
Bring that car out to the local Brooksville, or St. Pete autocross, you will be amazed what your car can do in stock form. After a few good autocross drives you will have a better idea of what you will want and how it will affect your ride. Then save some coins up and swap all the suspension goodies and do a run again, its like a whole new car!! =D>

Phatty :mrgreen:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd probably upgrade the bumpstops while you're at it. Or, just wait until you can afford shocks AND springs. It sucks, but I was going to force myself to do it before I decided I wanted coilovers.

Edit: Also, I seriously doubt the wheels are going to rub after the drop. I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, right now I'm tossing the idea of Tokico HP shocks and Tein S Tech springs. That entire setup can be had for $490. I've got to see what everyone has to say about this combo first before I go any further though.

So you think I'll be fine with that offset and 1" drop with those Azenis meats?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know, it has never been to any track of any kind. That's not saying that it won't in the future though. ;)
Bring that car out to the local Brooksville, or St. Pete autocross, you will be amazed what your car can do in stock form. After a few good autocross drives you will have a better idea of what you will want and how it will affect your ride. Then save some coins up and swap all the suspension goodies and do a run again, its like a whole new car!! =D>

Phatty :mrgreen:
That may be true, but I don't se myself getting out to a track anytime soon with my current work schedule. :(

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
coilovers- save. i had to roll my front fenders when i had +30 offset wheels, falken azenis and racing beat springs

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Well, there are ways to do it yourself, but if I had a nice new NB I'd probably want it done the right way.

If you can't find anyone in your area that has a fender roller or if there isn't a shop that can do it (try checking out body shops, if they can't do it they might point you in the right direction), the best bet is to save up for one yourself. TireRack.com sells them, and you can make it pay for itself by renting it out to others that need it after you use it.

Edit: The first thing I'd do in your case if it DOES rub (which I doubt, lowering a car induces negative camber) is get a more aggressive alignment. Since your car isn't driven often, a little more negative camber isn't going to cause your tires to wear out extremely premature.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, there are ways to do it yourself, but if I had a nice new NB I'd probably want it done the right way.

If you can't find anyone in your area that has a fender roller or if there isn't a shop that can do it (try checking out body shops, if they can't do it they might point you in the right direction), the best bet is to save up for one yourself. TireRack.com sells them, and you can make it pay for itself by renting it out to others that need it after you use it.

Edit: The first thing I'd do in your case if it DOES rub (which I doubt, lowering a car induces negative camber) is get a more aggressive alignment. Since your car isn't driven often, a little more negative camber isn't going to cause your tires to wear out extremely premature.
Which I do want to do it the right way, which means no stinkin' baseball bats near my ride! :p

When you say my car isn't driven often, how do you mean? It is my one and only car, so I do drive it every day, not just real long distances often. Is that what you meant?

BTW, I really appreciate all of the great info/help I'm getting so far. It's all helping me understand a few things more clearly about suspensions and what to look for. :wink:

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean it wasn't driven often...I meant you put less miles on it than most people do with their daily drivers, which means less tire wear per day/month/year/etc. when compared to the average commuter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I didn't mean it wasn't driven often...I meant you put less miles on it than most people do with their daily drivers, which means less tire wear per day/month/year/etc. when compared to the average commuter.
No problem. Don't worry about it. That's what I figured you meant anyway. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts