ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think we have to get a group buy for that...all the people with roll bar should be excited!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are going to install a harness in any car, you might not want to half ass it and possibly loose your life.

A 4-5 point is not friendly for a daily driven car. You don't have the freedom to move unless you un-do yourself. I would advise against it as it defeats the purpose of a racing harness.

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The 3-point retractable harnesses have been out a long time; they are ECE-approved for road use. Having said that, you won't find anyone on a track using them.

I agree with the comment that harnesses shouldn't be used on the road. Not good, and not too clever.

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 3-point retractable harnesses have been out a long time; they are ECE-approved for road use. Having said that, you won't find anyone on a track using them.

I agree with the comment that harnesses shouldn't be used on the road. Not good, and not too clever.
If they are ECE approved for road use why you think that shouldn't be used on the road :roll:

S.M.A.R.T.? (Sensor Modulated Automatic Restraint Technology) represents the most advanced design in restraint systems today. The system features a unique 'thinking' electro-sensor which constantly monitors abnormal movement and force inside the vehicle while in motion. During normal driving conditions, the Autocontrol's sensor allows the inertia reel to 'relax', enabling occupants to move more comfortably and freely in their harnessbelts. But, if the electro-sensor detects rapid acceleration or deceleration, a high G-force turn, quick side movement or inclines over 25 degrees, it will INSTANTLY lock the inertia reel and secure occupants in their seats - the safest possible position in a collision.

If you plan to use your Autocontrol harnessbelt for Autocrossing or Driver's Schools you should also purchase a Cut-off Switch which will give you the ability to lock the inertia reel so that the harnessbelt can be fully tightened during an event.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

If they are ECE approved for road use why you think that shouldn't be used on the road :roll:
I was referring to proper harnesses, not these Mickey Mouse efforts. These retractable harnesses will never get past a RAC-MSA scrutineer. Says it all.

ECE approval only means the latch meets an EC spec, not that its actually been tested. ECE-approved harnesses won't get past a motorsport scrutineer in Europe.

I stand by my statement; race harnesses are not suitable for road use.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I'm not too keen on retractable harnesses, but prefer non-adjustable harnesses with a proper camlock--even for road use.

·
2,708 Posts
A race harness should never be used in a street car WITHOUT a proper roll bar (not style-bar).

In the event that you have a roll-over, the OEM 3-point will actually allow you to submarine, or at the very least, allow you to naturally react by moving your upper body down and out of the way. Imagine being strapped in TIGHT and not being able to move out of the way. A five or six point harnesses are OK for street use WITH a roll bar because the roll bar is higher then your head, protecting your head.

With that said, the retractable "race" harness seems like a gimmick to me. The fact the site doesn't even mention that "race" harnesses should only be used with a proper roll bar scares me away.

Kris, looking at your photos, it looks like your head is way above the seat AND the style-bar. With that combination, a "race" harness, retractable or not, would not save you in a roll-over, your better off with the OEM set-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts