ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Racing Beat lowering springs for the time being, but I am looking at getting Xida-S Coilover System by the end of this next season. So I was wondering what you guys go with. Im doing a Monthly Track Monster, but I don't mind if it is a little to uncomfortable for the street as long as it performs. Mine is a 1993 and is at 2140 lbs and I want to learn some more about tuning suspension.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Greenteee/Braineack appear to be our in house suspension theory experts not I.

As far as rates. Just get the off the shelf xida rates. I've heard they are still quite streetable thanks to the quality of the shock etc.. Although depending on your tire/wheel selection you have in mind lower rates might be more ideal. Call Emilio for consultation. It is his product after all.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
if you're set on the Xidas, I strongly suggest talking to Emilio at 949 Racing. He put in the work to have these made, races on them, wins on them. He answer your questions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greenteee/Braineack appear to be our in house suspension theory experts not I.

As far as rates. Just get the off the shelf xida rates. I've heard they are still quite streetable thanks to the quality of the shock etc.. Although depending on your tire/wheel selection you have in mind lower rates might be more ideal. Call Emilio for consultation. It is his product after all.
Im am going to run Enkei RP-F1's 15x7 with 225 BF Goodrich G force R1
The lightest wheel with one of the best semi-slick and the tire is a full 2 lbs lighter than the competitors

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm not an expert and I only do time attacks at a semi-local course from time to time, but I feel like my car is set up perfectly for track and street.

Right now I'm on 700lb front, 430lb rear, with both sway bars removed. Before I thought that having such high spring rate would make the car unbearable on the street, but from my experience, you just need shocks that can handle this type of spring rate, as well as having adequate shock travel.

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
If lightness of the wheel and tires mattered so much Emilio wouldn't make a 15x10. Less grip = second place

·
Registered
706 Posts
Im am going to run Enkei RP-F1's 15x7 with 225 BF Goodrich G force R1
The lightest wheel with one of the best semi-slick and the tire is a full 2 lbs lighter than the competitors
I dont think Enkei makes a 15x7 rpf01, at least i dont think in 4x100. You will get terrible performance stuffing that wide of a tire on a 7 inch rim. Seriously, you would be better off running 185's.

Your steering response will be absolute crap and you wont gain any lateral grip.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Like KFJ said, Call emilio since you plan on buying his suspension. He should have all the information you need.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
15x7 best tire to go with is a 205. Smaller, looses grip. Bigger gets muddy and roll the tire. I run at a local event on my worn 205s and did better that a lowered and supercharged miata by a whole second! I was novice and my car is Stock other than wheels and tires. Later I find out the other guy was running on smaller all-season tires.

edit: Just notice that those are RP-F1... a 205 on a 14 in wheel will roll as well cause you need bigger profile to have your speedo correct.
I would save for some 6uls on 15X8 or better yet 15X9 and then you will have plenty of grip and tire choices.

·
3,857 Posts
I run at a local event on my worn 205s and did better that a lowered and supercharged miata by a whole second! I was novice and my car is Stock other than wheels and tires. Later I find out the other guy was running on smaller all-season tires.
You are right in what you are saying but your example has so many variables that I think the least important is the wheel width. :fp:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
you are right, that is not the best example. What I wanted to say is the proper tire on wide rims is always the way to get grip. Then add the proper suspension to the equation as well.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I dont think Enkei makes a 15x7 rpf01, at least i dont think in 4x100. You will get terrible performance stuffing that wide of a tire on a 7 inch rim. Seriously, you would be better off running 185's.

Your steering response will be absolute crap and you wont gain any lateral grip.
True, that the 225 would benefit from a wider wheel but are you aware of what a BFG R1 even is? Lateral grip for days.

Sloppy sidewalls will be the least of his problems even squeezed on a x7.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
True, that the 225 would benefit from a wider wheel but are you aware of what a BFG R1 even is? Lateral grip for days.

Sloppy sidewalls will be the least of his problems even squeezed on a x7.
XD so true! not a street tire by any means.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I dont think Enkei makes a 15x7 rpf01, at least i dont think in 4x100. You will get terrible performance stuffing that wide of a tire on a 7 inch rim. Seriously, you would be better off running 185's. Your steering response will be absolute crap and you wont gain any lateral grip.
Enkei does make a 4x100 15x7 RPF-1. Your response is correct in certain contexts and incorrect in others. See: autocross folks stuffing slicks on stock wheels.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts