ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was having trouble with my 99 overheating , it was a clogged radiator.i had to replace it cause it was a oem plastic top and was brittle.
so i found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Haste-98-00-Mazda-Miata-1-8L-Manual-Aluminum-Radiator_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ007QQitemZ170118761761QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

then i checked an craigslist and found the same company selling it for the same $240 price ,but allowing pick up,without the shipping charge. so i bought it.
this thing is huge. 52mm three row core.it had some fitment issues with the oem fans,(not too bad) and i had to jam it in there , but with a rad this size its normal.
its details are on the ebay link. here are some pics
its a great alternative to a $400 koyo.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm going to have to start doing some research. I wonder if I will be needing a new radiator? Mine is start to get wierd discolorations on the passenger side near the cap.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had overheating problems all day yesterday at Mazdafest, it was 110 that helps too but looking for a radiator now, going to track day on august and im sure the temperatures are going to be similar.

The construction looks good? or for 50$ buy the Koyo?

cheers

·
Registered
501 Posts
$240 is a bargain, the welds seem to do the job. You'll notice the rad is also a bit taller, so the brackets don't fit as well as stock. Doesn't look like it'll cause any problems, but just worth mentioning. It definitely makes construction easier, as the Koyo's work in a hump to accomodate the top radiator hose.

52mm may be overkill for most people. I ran a 37mm Koyo at 10psi (SC) with an IC blocking it on Streets of Willow, 110 degrees, didn't have any problems. But it was only 5 lap sessions.

Think I paid $360 shipped from Ebay, and I still had to trim down the stock fan to fit around the thicker aftermarket FM sway bar.

Even with the slightly smaller 37mm, the I think the larger rads start messing with your overflow tank. I can never top it off right. Unless I'm leaking coolant somewhere, I think the overflow bottle is now getting overfilled and purging some of the coolant. Then when the car is back to cool temps, it sucks the overflow dry and leaves it empty. I haven't looked closely enough to see whether it's leaving the rad partially empty though.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Piripi, the Haste 55mm WILL fix your problem, but just because you had one instance of overheating doesn't mean you have to drop an atomic bomb on the problem. :)

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts