ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well mine is starting to leak so time to get a quality one. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what brand or model I should buy? I'm not looking for some fancy or rare one, just a quality higher pressure one.

Oh and I have an all metal auto trans. rad in my car. Thanks for your help.

Colin

·
Registered
459 Posts
oem should be 0.9 bar or it can be the 16psi 1.1 bar one. i'm using a spoon 1.35 bar cap...so it may be around 18psi. remember...stock radiator and cooling systems can hold up to 30 psi, as those are the pressures not to exceed when testing cooling system leaks...so higher pressure rad. caps are not necessarily better...just holds the boiling point higher with increased pressure.letting the engine run slightly hotter.

·
Registered
459 Posts
damn, aflac. quit teasin me with those 15" bbs mesh. i see a bmw neglected at a auto shop with those rare bbs' and they will not sell =(

as for the cap...another thing to consider...i think altitude plays a role in cap pressures.
higher altitude cars seems to have water boil sooner at a lower temp than sea level. (ever realized at snow camps when you drink a fresh brewed coffee, its usually only luke warm?) so higher altitude cars can go with low pressure caps, sea level cars with about atmosphere pressure (1.0 bar or 14.7 psi)or higher

·
Registered
459 Posts
jdmaf: 94 SI body with 97 H22a motor switched to obdI.

and i heard bout those bbs coming on vw too other than on old 3series bmw...but dunno which vw. what is the width and offset? and what would they cost if sourced at a vw wreckyard?

·
Registered
459 Posts
p.s. also currently running unknown 5 spoke 15" rims off a vw from a vw enthusiast.

just like more info on those bbs mesh. they were my first choice in hunting down. vw, bmw...it dun matter to me. u know what the dimensions are for the 14" centercapped bbs mesh on the bmw's are?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts