ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on channeling all the air that enters the mouth of the bumper straight into the intercooler and radiator. I want to be as efficient as i can and not lose any air pressure around the IC and rad.

I would like to see pictures of your setup to give me ideas for mounting points and materials used.

I have an NA
Thanks

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
My car's at the shop but I can supply pictures later if required. I've used a sheet of ABS and some PVC shower liner on mine. The base is just a ABS with a rolled lip to close off the gap at the base. As for the top I cut a sheet of the PVC to fill in the gaps at the top and have it all attached thru the existing bolt holes with backing plates made of ABS.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Since the radiator is probably the last heat exchanger before the bay, seal that up so all air goes through it. I used foam I had laying around. There are details to keep in mind such as distance between heat exchangers for efficiency (don't stack them close, air needs to pass through IIRC).

I was dealing w/ overheating in 109* temps with AC until I did that, and even sealed up the fans behind it with aluminum tape.

This is the only picture I could find.

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
I am planning on channeling all the air that enters the mouth of the bumper straight into the intercooler and radiator. I want to be as efficient as i can and not lose any air pressure around the IC and rad.

I would like to see pictures of your setup to give me ideas for mounting points and materials used.

I have an NA
Thanks
16g 5052 aluminum
no mounting points, as this gets wedged perfectly against the splitter frame and the rest of the car. But, you could use the AC condensor brackets.

-Henry

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Henry. Now I'm getting an idea.

Notbenh, when you get a chance for those pics, I appreciate it!

Greeenteee, didn't think about using that foil tape...great idea.

If anyone has anything diffrent, then please post your setup.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Thanks Henry. Now I'm getting an idea.

Notbenh, when you get a chance for those pics, I appreciate it!

Greeenteee, didn't think about using that foil tape...great idea.

If anyone has anything diffrent, then please post your setup.

Thanks again!
Sure thing, I went digging for pictures and here's one of the bottom plate. I used some scrap paper to build the template and then cut things out and just bent it as needed. The install was drill some holes and zip tie it in to place.

I should have the car back by the end of the week so more pics then.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Mine looks a bit like this.

Driver's side

Passenger side

It works pretty well. Not a perfect seal, but a really good fit. The rear edge is taped to the radiator with aluminum tape. Sounds ghetto, but it works well, seals well, and is easy to remove in a single piece when it's maintenance time.

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like what I was thinking in my head Adam! What material did you use? I was wondering how I would work around my IC piping...what are those grommets you used?

Thanks

Notbenh, for some reason, your pictures are not working for me.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Notbenh, for some reason, your pictures are not working for me.
Let's try this again, now with more pictures =)

Here's the bottom part, it's just ABS bent with a heat gun:

It's mounted to the stock skirt with zipties:

You can't really see it so well here but there's a gap of about a 1/4 inch between the ABS and the Radiator. I was hoping that the curve along the back would be ridged enough but I'm guessing that I'll end up drilling some more holes and using some angle aluminium to add some strength. As you can see did not do a great job blocking off the sides and eventually will get some of that sheet PVC to fill in the sides.

As for the top, again it's just grey sheet PVC (shower liner) and the black parts are again the same ABS. the only 'complex bit here is the part under the radiator stays is a 90* bend that matches the frame there and adds a little support to the PVC.

The only part of this whole setup that actually touches the radiator is the folded over 'lip' of PVC. It was a cheap first attempt the only thing I bought was the shower liner and that was like $20 from a big box hardware store and used only a very little bit of what you end up getting.

I've only done one trackday with this setup and things were 'cooler' but that's only a single data point and I'm in Portland so it's not like there are many days where I'm at risk of overheating. No conclusions on how much my cheap DIY solution will hold up. Though hope that helps at least give you a few ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts