ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time for me to upgrade to an aluminum radiator and I figure I might as well do a coolant reroute while I'm at it. Do you think choosing a radiator design that has inlets/outlets in locations different than OEM would make doing a coolant reroute easier or look better when finished? I understand you need some crossflow for the heat exchanger to work but is it possible to select a radiator that has sufficient crossflow with inlet/outlets in locations that would allow shorter, straighter pipes?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of a coolant reroute with a return line that travels along the intake side of the engine?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
im in the same boat as you freedom. i would love to run a water bypass for the rad hose, but the begi one doesn't have any other photos to show where the line goes.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, it seems like it's a different sort of setup that anyone else has done. I would like to see more pics. There's almost no info on .net.

Edit, I got an answer over on ^.net. It dosen't relocate the thermostat od change the coolant flow through the block. It's just to get coolant lines out of the way of the turbo.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BEGi sells both a coolant re-route and a coolant "bypass". My understanding is they are two separate products and that the coolant bypass gets the hoses away from the hot turbo and manifold but keeps the OEM flow directions while the coolant reroute actually changes the coolant flow direction to that utilized in B6/BP transverse applications (aka Protege).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Here's the reply I got on ^.net:

the lower radiator hose is rerouted to the front of the a/c compressor instead of behind it and the heater core return is rerouted to the top radiator hose instead of back into the front of the block, eliminating the metal pipe that travels under the manifold from the back of the motor to the waterpump.

Working with this and this image

It seems to me that the rerout kit takes the coolant from the heater return and just puts it on the other side of the block to get it away from the hot turbo. This would do nothing to change coolant flow in the block. It doesn't look like it relocates the thermostat either.

THe other kit the Bypass kit is the one that replaces the lower radiator hoses around, he's had that one out for a few months now and it has been pretty well explained.

I know, I was totally hoping it was a Real re-rout kit too. I think Corky Chose his wording poorly since to most of us Coolant re-rout means relocating the thermostat to the back.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the clarification. I saw the diagrams on BEGi's website but I didn't feel like studying them to figure out what exactly their "reroute" kit does. It would be most helpful to see both "before" and "after" diagrams instead of just a modified scan from the shop manual.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, I know. They really need to clear that stuff up. It's really confusing.

I REALLY want to see someone do a coolant re-rout kit available in the US, and not the Aizawa one

·
Registered
6 Posts
I brought my top hose coldside, so for me the stock radiator inlet/outlet was fine.
I think it looks pretty neat. Just blocked the front exit, then used a JR spacer and a stock 1.6 thermostat housing to hold the stat. The spacer gives you somewhere to put the coolant sensor and a takeoff for the heater. Heres a pic or two

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics. What is this JR spacer you refer to? Is it the blue anodized coupling I see? Do you have a link for where this item could be purchased?

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Its with the 1.6 therm housing on the back of block. The piece in the radiator line is a greddy temp gauge adapter.

I'd like info where to pickup the JR spacer though...

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
miatamania.com then? I couldn't find anything on the spacer anywhere.

Anyone have a link?

Emailed jackson... i'll post any reply I get.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I beleive that the JR spacer he is referring to is in the second pic. It is a part of the Jackson CAI for the 1.6 engine (spacer p/n is 051-046 and is $15).

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
I beleive that the JR spacer he is referring to is in the second pic. It is a part of the Jackson CAI for the 1.6 engine (spacer p/n is 051-046 and is $15).
Thats the part... so uh... I can't find it for sale online... thoughts?
It IS for sale by Moss, but you have to order it by part number. I don't remember the part number offhand, but I did post a detailed topic on the matter on ^.net, so you should be able to find all the info there....(DO A SEARCH!) *giggle*

To do the mod right, you'll also need to modify the Jackson spacer to be able to hold the t-stat and the two water temp sensors (one for the ECU, one for the fan)--of course, this info ONLY applies to the 1.6L engine. I don't know squat about how the reroute would change for the 1.8L as there's other junk in the way on that one.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I just went to the Moss site and did the Order by Part #, then put the p/n in as I gave it above (which came from the Jackson CAI insall instructions online), then you can add it to the cart which gives you the price.

BTW, the online instructions for the Jackson CAI for the 90-93 have the parts listing for the 1.8 in the document. The -94-96 instructions have the parts listing for the 1.6 kit. #-o

1 - 20 of 25 Posts