ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something like this for sale but I didn't bookmark the site. #-o

It was a three gauge holder and radio bezel for a NA center console. Any ideas? I might make one from scratch but I wanted to look at what was available already before I started messing around in the Bad Idea Laboratory (TM).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
DDM Works makes a stainless radio/gauge bezel. I have one in my '96. RSpeed carries them. They make them in standard configuration and the flipped configuration like you show. Pretty nice piece of metal.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOR THE LOVE OF MIATAS, don't go to rspeed.com. Welcome to virus town.

For those not in the know, rspeed.net. :(

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find them on the site, I require further assiatance.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS:

$80 my ass, I am offically making my own now.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I made radio panels several from scratch using the laser cutter and was never satisfied with my build quality. Something to do with the exactness of the bends and the right mounting depth to be flush with the OEM plastic surround. To fix the problem I decided to buy something already made. If I were to do it all over again and wanted/needed gauges there I'd strongly consider the DDM Works part as it is nice quality. It does seem pricey for cut/bent sheet metal but I easily spent more than $80 in effort and I don't have crap to show for it. Hopefully you're either less picky or a better fabricator than I.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did make an intake out of PVC and duct tape.

I went back to the stock one later.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I guess you need to decide what size gauge to use. If you get the blank panel version than you can use a hole saw to cut to whatever size you need. I think the standard DDM hole size is 2 1/16" which fits 52mm gauges. If you want the larger 60mm gauges the blank panel might work better.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
http://www.ddmworks.com/Miatastore/store/miata_interior/ddm_blank_radio_surround.html

I kinda like this because it's painted black and I can drill my own three gauge holes.. Hmm..
I don't think that's black. It's just not reflecting light in that picture. I've never seen a black surround from DDM Works.

The DDM piece is a very nice piece of kit, and $80 was nothing compared to how much my time would be worth making something like that.

Here it is in my car.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now, the question: What gauges to get? :)

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I went with those I could cut a blank plate for my head unit...

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Re: Radio pannel gauge cluster?

Er, forgot to say, they'll only fit the 89-93 radio surround. 96 DIN width surrounds are too big.

My homebrew surround in the 91 Roadster. MDF and some padded vinyl:

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I did a hombrew and I worked to fast as I'm beginning to get imatient... the result looked like poo so I ended up getting the DDM works one.

·
4,438 Posts

Home brew for less than $1.00

Here's my secret - for a beer:
1) Lightly used broadcast video tape box from any school media/library (the clamshell type that opens up - cut the back off for a nice large chunk of textured panel).
2) $0.59 hex screws from home depot

And for the uneducated, here is what the 3/4" video cases look like:

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts

Peter, you were an AV geek in high school, weren't you!?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts