ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my radio has gone out at random.
And currently it only work with the Engine off but Ignition in the On Position.
As soon as I turn the car on it goes mute. I can change the volume levels or change the station but no sound.
I am thinking its probably the Amp.
Anyone want to give em their 2 cents?

Note: Its an aftermarket radio that came with the car. Its an Alpine Head unit. I don't know if the whole system is Alpine though. Just has the 2 door speakers which look stock.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you can, remove the tobstone and radio itself, then check the connections between the radio harness and the harness that plugs into the the stock plug-in for the radio ( if that makes sense ), sounds like possibly a connection came loose, or the unit is going bad and needs replacement.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket audio system in the car? If not, the vehicle shouldnt be equipped with an external amp as far as I know, but rather be powered by the stereo unit itself. The bad ground is definitely possible but doesnt make to much sense for the muted part if the rest of the unit is working. Remove that console fascia and pull out the deck. Visually check everything. Does everything not work? Ie. Radio, cd, tape, usb, ect. Or just certain things like the radio only?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The same thing happened to me in my first one. I went as far as replacing the head unit (aftermarket with aftermarket) and still no sound so I started unplugging things. It regained sound when I unplugged the connection to the head rest speakers from the radio harness. I believe I had a short somewhere in the harness so I just left it unplugged and enjoyed my tunes again. I can't remember if there were separate connectors for each seat but I seem to remember thinking It was for the passenger seat speaker set. I hope this helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts