• CM Ducktail

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • CM TRD

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • CM Monster Trunk

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Dont put one of those stupid ricey spoilers on there.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I should start a build thread since I am finally getting some stuff done to this car and I know I will never start one if the list goes on too long.

I've always loved cars, since before I could talk matchbox cars were my go to toy. After my first car lost a fight with a semi-truck and ended up like this.

I started the hunt for a Miata. Mainly I was looking at NAs but then this NB popped up on craigslist for $2500 and within 30 minutes of the ad being posted I was on my way to his house.

89,000 on the clock, 1999 and heavily oxidized paint (though the picture looks shiny) I couldn't have been happier with my purchase even without the pop up headlights in my life.

I started out with the little things because I am a super broke college student, hence the name. Oil change, rubbing compound on the paint, and polishing the headlights; the car remained like this for a few months.

In the meantime I picked up a totaled 95 M edition for $400

took the hard top off and sold the car again for $400

Then disaster struck in the form of a Chinese foreign exchange student practicing her driving during rush hour in one of the busiest streets in our city. Learners permit for 3 days in her boyfriends Volkswagen that he had for 8 days. Still had the paper plates on it. She tried to make an illegal U-turn and ended up doing a 20 point turn in a busy intersection, panicked, pinned the gas and jumped the curb straight into Mabel the Miata.

I was legitimately depressed for weeks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Fast forward to the Insurance check. I decided to forgo the paint and pick up the replacement parts on Craigslist. $55 for a new fender and then an alignment and She was back on the road until I could find the rest of the parts.

Plastidipped the fender because ricer.

No one was selling a NB1 front bumper without foglight holes cut so I had to buy that from the dealer but still I made it out for just over $500 to replace the fender, fender lining, hood, and front bumper. I also Retrofitted HIDs/Projectors since the crash broke both bulbs in the headlights.

This pic still had the old bumper and hood on since they weren't that damaged.

The rest of the insurance money went into Konig Wideopens 15x8 +25, Flyin Miata Vmaxx Coilovers, Nitto Neogens, and new control arms (old ones were just slightly bent).

Bonus Roomates E46 M3

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My first class was cancelled yesterday and it was nice so I decided to install the new soft top I've had sitting around all winter, I took the entire thing out before winter started because it was beginning to tear like this on both sides.

Also now that I have done the research It looks like it was originally installed incorrectly with the nylon tension piece going under the 3rd bow instead of over it.

It was only 10 Months old in this pic but luckily it was under warranty so I got a free one.

Installing a soft top is NOT a one man job. Especially one with zero prior experience but after lots of googling and YouTube I got it done.

Yes Im the weird guy taking up 3 spots to work on his car in the apartment parking lot.

Stretching it closed was a BITCH eventually I got my 2 roommates out to help pull.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to live outside of Richmond myself. I really miss being that close to the mountains; hoping to move back someday!

Now that my radio barely picks up even the stations in town, I'll probably have to get on a bosectomy of my own. Looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say the NUE one looks sweet, kind of like an FRS rocket bunny. But other than that I'd go Carbonmiata. I've been thinking about doing that one myself...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice work! I kinda love the rising sun fender!

BTW- do some research on the rising sun motif if you haven't yet- I was going to do a motorcycle tank in it a while back, and decided to reach up on the cultural meaning of it. Turns out, it's the old battle flag, and in Japan it's often seen a bit like the rebel flag is seen here. Might be your thing, but wasn't mine. Then again- I live in the Bay Area... :p

How oxidized was your paint, and did polishing help it? Mine's starting to go, and I'm curious if it's worth putting a polisher to it.

Overall, I really like the look. So many cars with new body panels looked pieced together, but this one seems to work somehow. Well done.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice transformation so far, I definitely sympathize with being a broke ass college student. Our mods come much more slowly than others' but so worth it in the end.
Thanks! It sucks but it forces me to do a lot of research and lets me learn. Every bit needs to be especially thought out.

Nice work! I kinda love the rising sun fender!

BTW- do some research on the rising sun motif if you haven't yet- I was going to do a motorcycle tank in it a while back, and decided to reach up on the cultural meaning of it. Turns out, it's the old battle flag, and in Japan it's often seen a bit like the rebel flag is seen here. Might be your thing, but wasn't mine. Then again- I live in the Bay Area... :p

How oxidized was your paint, and did polishing help it? Mine's starting to go, and I'm curious if it's worth putting a polisher to it.

Overall, I really like the look. So many cars with new body panels looked pieced together, but this one seems to work somehow. Well done.
The thing about the rising sun is that it was used as their military flag for a very long time, yes there were some terrible things done under it however that is not what the flag stands for. The flag was not invented for the purpose such as the rebel flag or nazi flag which only flew while those respective countrys/groups were fighting for their racist motives. It just so happened that Japan developed some twisted ideals while still keeping the flag. U.S. military that is stationed in japan have recieved patches with that flag incorporated into it.

I am unfortunately a history nerd. Also the paint was really bad but if I took a fair amount of rubbing compound and an electric polisher to it it would most likely come out pretty well. Im just going for full paint because I have a mismatched bumper, fender, hood and hardtop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great start so far! Keep up the great work. Take your time and learn to paint yourself. You'll thank yourself later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thing about the rising sun is that it was used as their military flag for a very long time, yes there were some terrible things done under it however that is not what the flag stands for. The flag was not invented for the purpose such as the rebel flag or nazi flag which only flew while those respective countrys/groups were fighting for their racist motives. It just so happened that Japan developed some twisted ideals while still keeping the flag. U.S. military that is stationed in japan have recieved patches with that flag incorporated into it.

I am unfortunately a history nerd. Also the paint was really bad but if I took a fair amount of rubbing compound and an electric polisher to it it would most likely come out pretty well. Im just going for full paint because I have a mismatched bumper, fender, hood and hardtop.
Oh, yeah, I totally agree with everything you said there (another history nerd here, hi!)

I'm not saying that the rising sun is necessarily in the same league from a historical perspective, but that it currently occupies a social role similar to the rebel flag here in the US- often associated with conservatism, nativism, and an eye toward "the way things used to be.".

Like I said, it might not be a big deal to you, and certainly isn't to many people, but it is something to be aware of.

Looks really good on the fender, though!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts