ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i was looking through m.net and i know about these randal intakes, my question is this style is routed to the the rear like so

why not instead route tubing toward the front? perhaps drilling a hole in the front bumper and running tubing from there to the air box instead of the rear of the engine bay like the randal. i am just assuming that the outside air would be cooler and you would probably be able to force more air into the intake while driving correct?

maybe something like the joyfast setup

-rod

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Randell actually pulls dense, cool, air from the cowl, not the engine bay. I have one it and it did make a difference unlike the TSI and cone filter I had before.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I would think routing a tube down towards the front of the car would be able to achieve the same results, pulling in cooler air from outside of the engine bay.

Weve all read how well the randall style really works, but is it routed that way because its easier than trying to go down towards the front of the car?

Rod the pics you posted are exactly of what I had in mind =D> just a little tube sticking out of the mouth of the miata.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I made one on my fathers car for pennies and it really does work. I just cut the stock snorkel, used a plumbing fitting and vacume hose. Everything was bought at home depot

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
if the filter was down in the miata's "mouth", I might be concerned about that. Otherwise I think unless you somehow manage to completely submerge the tubing in water, it shouldnt be much of an issue. I do agree the cowl intake is even more safe in this regard.

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the idea is that by mounting the hose facing forward (coming out of the bumper) it would act like a ram air intake...instead of just sucking it in like a randall you would be forcing it in when you are driving...i was looking at my aizawa bumper before i left for japan and i really wanted to try this idea. the hole on the drivers side would seem like a perfect place to mount the piping.

·
Registered
369 Posts
the idea is that by mounting the hose facing forward (coming out of the bumper) it would act like a ram air intake...instead of just sucking it in like a randall you would be forcing it in when you are driving...i was looking at my aizawa bumper before i left for japan and i really wanted to try this idea. the hole on the drivers side would seem like a perfect place to mount the piping.

I thought ram induction was sort of a automotive myth. :?:

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well actually i hesitated and didn't want to use that term but its the only thing that came to mind. i just figure that the outside air coming from the front of the car would be a better source than the one coming from behind the cowl... :? then again i'm not an automotive engineering.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don`t think it makes a difference wether air is rammed in or not as only a certain volume of air will be permitted in by the MAF/AFM...colder dense air however will make a big difference.

Cold air intakes are good no matter what version as long as air is drawn from outside the car. There`s a definite improvement in power and its highly recommended it. Here`s my DIY CAI.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm trying to get an old airbox and make what tetsuyagarage is saying, but its geetting very hard to find.
This is a common mod for the civic.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The cowl is probably the best place to pull air from. The cowl is a high pressure area, think of all the air rolling under the back of the hood and getting trapped in the cowl. That's the reason the cowl intake is so popular. I just wish there was some middle ground between the low cost DIY setup and the much more expensive carbon fiber Randal type.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don`t think it makes a difference wether air is rammed in or not as only a certain volume of air will be permitted in by the MAF/AFM...colder dense air however will make a big difference.

Cold air intakes are good no matter what version as long as air is drawn from outside the car. There`s a definite improvement in power and its highly recommended it. Here`s my DIY CAI.

Wow :shock:

Mind me asking what exactly you used to make that setup? Anything widely available?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The cowl is probably the best place to pull air from. The cowl is a high pressure area, think of all the air rolling under the back of the hood and getting trapped in the cowl. That's the reason the cowl intake is so popular. I just wish there was some middle ground between the low cost DIY setup and the much more expensive carbon fiber Randal type.
Confirmed, while doing aero reasearch I found a site that tested pressures across the car. They found the cowl to be a high pressure zone.

My bad on that one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That looks great 90_mx. What did you use to make that?
As i can see you must reroute the clutch line. Can you post a pic.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The parts consist of 2 OEM snorkel ends cut and mated together to form an "S".

The end piece thru the firewall is from an early 80`s Mazda 323 sedan (junkyard part) but you can use just about anything.

I used some Lowe`s rubber coupling to connect the pieces.

Here are a few more pics, its easy to make!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
BTW, clutch line is just pushed down just enough to clear the intake and best part of all is the whole thing cost me about $20.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts