ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
24661 - 24680 of 25721 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
RTs: I posted my husband's M3 for sale in the Recycler and AutoTrader.com. Is that passive-aggressive? ;) We just had it smogged recently and it's only transferable for 90 days, so I'm trying to expedite. He hasn't posted on his own, I'm just taking care of it. I hope he's not too mad.
Yikes. That's going to be rough...
Also, the LBGP this weekend was fun! I didn't get to meet Patrick Stewart, but I did introduce myself to Johnny O'Connell and got his autograph! I was tempted to buy some fan swag but I restrained myself. Had to keep the cash available for the $11 beers. ;)
You met the fat kid from Stand By Me? Cool :)

In other news, I have a hard time in relationships--especially where my wife is concerned--with speaking my mind. I'm often far too worried about the reaction (real or imagined). It's one of those flaws I still haven't fixed. Of course, it's mentally rationalized by the times when I do say what I'm thinking that it's either ignored or turned into a referendum on how I don't know how to deliver bad news.

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts
Yikes. That's going to be rough...
Well, we've been seriously talking about selling it for a couple of years. *I hope* that there's been no ad so far only because of lack of action on his part, and not because he secretly wants to keep it and will be heart-broken if it sells. (See my previous diatribe about his tend toward inaction in my posts about him not fixing our STILL not-functioning BBQ.) The car has sat in our driveway unregistered for the better part of 2 years. We only got it registered recently after I called a mechanic friend to come fix it (radiator cracked from age, also did a new water pump and new VANOS). It only got smogged after I took it to the shop for that. I just see the placing of the ad as the next "to do" on my list of administrative things necessary to get the car sold. A clear smog is only transferrable for 90 days so we have to get moving.

At any time he is totally free to sell my Camaro for me. ;) I also have stalled on getting IT fixed and making an ad for it. So, touche?

LOL, no. This Johnny O'Connell races a Cadillac in the World Challenge series. He's been a pro racer for a long time. I wouldn't say I'm his biggest fan, but I'm certainly A fan, so I was stoked that he stopped to talk to me for a few minutes and give me his autograph.

In other news, I have a hard time in relationships--especially where my wife is concerned--with speaking my mind. I'm often far too worried about the reaction (real or imagined). It's one of those flaws I still haven't fixed. Of course, it's mentally rationalized by the times when I do say what I'm thinking that it's either ignored or turned into a referendum on how I don't know how to deliver bad news.
Not to say I never suffer from this - have you tried composing what you'll say first? And think of what the person's reactions might be to help you craft an introductory type of statement? If it's bad news, do you consider checking in with the person first? Bad news on a bad day is always worse, that's what I mean.

But yeah, that's tough stuff.

I'm not saying you might do this - my husband thinks of things without saying them, and will speak only part of what is in his head. It's confusing and frustrating and he has no idea he's doing it. It's like he jumps into chapter 2 of a novel so I have no idea who the main character is. Sometimes the introduction is really necessary to get your listener in the mood, so to speak.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts

You're welcome.

Just going to leave this here before passing out in a gin fueled hangover as girls are evil and I'm getting older and just more **** at life everyday.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Not to say I never suffer from this - have you tried composing what you'll say first? And think of what the person's reactions might be to help you craft an introductory type of statement? If it's bad news, do you consider checking in with the person first? Bad news on a bad day is always worse, that's what I mean.
Sometimes, but normally only LONG after the moment I needed to address the problem within has past.
I'm not saying you might do this - my husband thinks of things without saying them, and will speak only part of what is in his head. It's confusing and frustrating and he has no idea he's doing it. It's like he jumps into chapter 2 of a novel so I have no idea who the main character is. Sometimes the introduction is really necessary to get your listener in the mood, so to speak.
That's the other problem. Often when I do say something, what is in my head and what comes out are two different things. When what I'm saying is misunderstood, I get flustered and just give up because I'm either mad that whoever I'm speaking to can't understand what I'm saying or that I can't make them understand (again, the referendum on what I said instead of a referendum on what prompted me to say something in the first place).

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts
Is this primarily with wife/family or with coworkers? Because if it's with coworkers I'm not sure what to say. I work with a couple of people here who I have a really hard time explaining things to and hearing their explanations. I just have to remember to stay calm and reiterate myself as many times as necessary. If it's family maybe you can speak to people individually and explain your feelings.

edit: one of those people is our web database programmer. I swear I will say, "can we make this button blue?" and she will hear "we need sale pricing". She's a great person and is friendly and outgoing but we clearly don't speak each other's language. I can tell when I am making her frustrated, which happens quickly, and I try to remain smiley and helpful to try to diffuse it. I used to just get frustrated back at her, but that didn't help. ;)

·
Mufasa in Training
31,664 Posts
Is this primarily with wife/family or with coworkers? Because if it's with coworkers I'm not sure what to say. I work with a couple of people here who I have a really hard time explaining things to and hearing their explanations. I just have to remember to stay calm and reiterate myself as many times as necessary. If it's family maybe you can speak to people individually and explain your feelings.
Pretty much everyone.

Doesn't help that I've also been more or less held back from promotion at work in no small part to the fact that people find me to be condescending and overly blunt sometimes.

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
Pretty much everyone.

Doesn't help that I've also been more or less held back from promotion at work in no small part to the fact that people find me to be condescending and overly blunt sometimes.

I think you should go to work with a healthy buzz. :lol:

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts
Pretty much everyone.

Well, at least you have a definite thing to focus on if you choose to try to work on and change the way you communicate with others. What has helped me in recent years is to think of my coworkers as customers as much as our actual retail customers are customers. So I try to present myself in a friendly and helpful way all the time (which gets tiring) but I get a much more positive response when I ask for things instead of demand them, and thank people for their help/time even if saying "thank you" isn't necessary.

I'm a direct, blunt sort of person too. It comes across as "bitchy" in business, and does not work well for me here in a masculine industry.

I just hope those thoughts are helpful in some way to you. Losing promotions can't feel nice.

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
How much cottage cheese is too much cottage cheese? Like, daily. On average.

2 servings average every day too much?

·
Super Moderator
6,409 Posts
That was my first thought too, but more from Sliders. Although, I finally watched Stand By Me for the first time last week.

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts

·
(⌐■_■)
2,128 Posts
someone either just sprayed perfume in the office or wore way too much and walked by and it's lingering (and it's late in the day, which is impressive). It smells like the perfume section of macys right now

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
So basically... Only really sucks from a sodium standpoint, which sucks.

I do the reduced fat thing, but that doesn't seem to hit sodium too hard.

Eating that much yogurt makes me sick.

24661 - 24680 of 25721 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.