ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30012 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
NEW FEATURE FOR RANDOM THOUGHTS 5.0! WE NOW HAVE RULES.

RULE #1: DON'T HARSH THE MELLOW.
RULE #2: I SAID, DON'T HARSH THE MELLOW.

I'm not joking. This thread is the Chill Lounge of Clubroadster. If you came here to bitch (and yes, there's a difference between bitching and venting. If you don't understand the difference, then don't do either of them), hit the back button on your browser. If you came here to call out anyone on the site, hit the back button on your browser. If you want to personally attack anyone in this thread, do yourself a favor and hit ALT-F4 before i ban you.

Clear? Great! :D

·
Traitor!
4,453 Posts
Re: Random Thoughts 5.0 (Set Phazers to "Daze")

Since the other thread closed in the middle of my reply.....

I strongly disagree with this. I would definitely buy an ND if it had 200hp, I am fully financially capable and interested but a 150something hp car just doesn't do it for me. You can have as much fun as physically possible in corners in your momentum car, but when you can easily get passed by minivans and the garden variety Camry in merging traffic it just isn't as fulfilling as getting that little push against the seat while accelerating out of a turn, etc.
Different strokes. Hard pulls do almost nothing for me after the initial few (Giggity)

My friend's 550+whp LS3 Miata is cool and all but I enjoy a stock power RX-8 on a twisty road considerably more.

Maybe I'm broken.

yes, I am, and I whine because they make it really hard for the aftermarket to do anything interesting or useful because the compression ratio is just too high. I think the engine performance aftermarket for this car is going to be lackluster. I wish it was EITHER fast from the factory, or fairly easy to get decent gains from, this will be neither.

compression ratios for reference:
BP 1.8L motor: 9:1
NC MZR: 10.8:1
ND skyactive: 13:1
That's a BIG difference. This car will not take well to FI at all.

We'll see, it's still going to be a great car, but I can't help but be left with a bit of a "what if" feeling.
It hasn't even released to the public yet. That's like me kicking through a pumpkin patch and getting pissed about the pie that will eventually be made because the pumpkins are shaped funny.

Mazda is working on a MUCH higher compression gas engine in the same family. There's room in this one.

DI + turbo + huge compression has been a thing for quite some time. It'll be fine. :)
This.

·
Super Moderator
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

New title is better. Thanks whoever.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts

I can't pop my head up out of my hole in acknowledgement now :(

1 - 20 of 30012 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.