ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
12521 - 12540 of 12573 Posts

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
I'm going 50/50 so to retain some modicum of value if i ever need to sell. Plus, you know... i have a wife who would probably feel slighted if i had a 3800sqft shop.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
7,931 Posts
House shopping is so annoying that we're talking about buying land and building at this point.
Are you guys in a "more buyers than houses" situation? I know we were. We made offers on a couple and got beat, bounced after a shady inspection on another, and ended up moving to a whole different world. Now imagine dealing with that same bullshit and spending literally 3x as much. Welcome to my hell.

I know several people in the process of putting up metal buildings and making them into a house. Most of them are going for the 80% shop 20% living space arrangement.
Talking about or actually doing? Because I joke about this all the time, I'm curious if the Midwest is really making it happen...

I'm back at work after a 4 day weekend. Sometimes I forget how much I love spending time with my old roomie. He's just a good dude to hang out with. And I took him to his first autocross...

·
ガラーズ・フ&#
2,125 Posts
Any gun enthusiasts? I found a revolver in our house and I'm trying to find some info about it... there's no word on it, just marks that I can't find mentioned anywhere

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I can tell you the metal building into a home (a.k.a. 'metal home') is very popular in my slice of Texas. You find the building you want, then take those plans to the 'finishing' company, who will assist you in designing the inside.

With my sample size of where I work and where I live (which is 2 counties, around 1200 square miles), I'd say about 15% to 20% are either finished metal homes or metal homes in the process of being finished.

I talked to one couple who had a metal home, and they told me for the same square footage, it was significantly cheaper to go the metal home route. They also said their home owners insurance is significantly cheaper as well.

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
More buyers than houses, kindof. The flippers have taken over, and stretching the budget to get out of "flipper range" to avoid competition means i'm looking for a house that is exactly what i want, and we've only found *one of those so far. I can and am willing to pay $50k to build a shop on existing property/house, but that comes out of overall budget, puts us back into competing with flippers who are overpaying for houses within 2 days of listing so they can poop $40k of HGTV into it and re-list for 200% purchase price.

*Submitted offer, seller went into coma. Family sucked at planning, so no POA.

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
I can tell you the metal building into a home (a.k.a. 'metal home') is very popular in my slice of Texas. You find the building you want, then take those plans to the 'finishing' company, who will assist you in designing the inside.

With my sample size of where I work and where I live (which is 2 counties, around 1200 square miles), I'd say about 15% to 20% are either finished metal homes or metal homes in the process of being finished.

I talked to one couple who had a metal home, and they told me for the same square footage, it was significantly cheaper to go the metal home route. They also said their home owners insurance is significantly cheaper as well.

And in general, they're easier to build, easier to change the inside down the road, and require less maintenance. I like polished concrete floors anyways.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Any gun enthusiasts? I found a revolver in our house and I'm trying to find some info about it... there's no word on it, just marks that I can't find mentioned anywhere
It's looks like some kind of Bulldog style revolver. I think Belgians made them collapsible trigger like that. Do you have a picture of the other side?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It's a Spanish origin 'Velo-dog' style revolver.

I couldn't find the exact manufacturer, but all the proof marks are Spanish origin.

Go here: http://www.velodogs.com/ and then do a page search for Spanish until you get to the Spanish section.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,715 Posts
Talking about or actually doing? Because I joke about this all the time, I'm curious if the Midwest is really making it happen...
Two currently doing, one done, one who is an architect is still in the planning stages of his. There's also a dude outside of town who turned a 10,000 sq ft barn into a house. It's absolutely nuts. Talk about an open floor plan.

I have no idea what that is but it looks neat. Curious what you turn up

They also said their home owners insurance is significantly cheaper as well.
Is this just because they're cheaper to fix?

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
No idea. Huge dumb space with steel walls, seems expensive to heat/cool.

I mean... it would have insulation. And be new construction, which generally means more air-tight than things that aren't new construction.

The general idea that we have in mind isn't more space than what we were shopping for anyways. I would expect this to be cheaper to heat/cool.

12521 - 12540 of 12573 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.