ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a strange rattling noise coming from under the hood on the passenger side when I accelerate. The sound is loudest when on 1st but dies down once i shift up. The engine does not seem disturbed by this but I know it shouldnt be there. Have any of you guys had this issue? I would really like to isolate the problem and get it fixed as it is rather annoying.`

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is it detonation, or something external banging around?

Detonation, which sounds like pebbles rattling around in a coffee can, will eat your engine very quickly. It's usually a timing issue (check your timing) or a lean fuel:air mixture (replace your O2 sensor).

Mechanical rattles are usually something loose. Grab parts and start shaking, and grab a hand full of wrenches and start tightening every nut and bolt you can lay your hands on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had the same issue and it turned out to be the heat shield on my exhaust manifold. I just tightened it down and it took care of most of the rattling. There's still a little coming from my clutch i think, but it's a whole lot better now. Check all your exhaust heatshields.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got the same issue, fairly certain its an exhaust thing as it only happens between 2700-3200 rpms

Sent via carrier pigeon

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
2500 rpm for me, in every gear lol.

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
mine rattles alittle somewhere under the dash near the driver when i drive over something bumpy. **** you rattles!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will definitely tighten everything when I get home this weekend and update on the sound.....guess these rattles just come with the territory of owning a miata. not that im complaining :haiguyths:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it detonation, or something external banging around?

Detonation, which sounds like pebbles rattling around in a coffee can, will eat your engine very quickly. It's usually a timing issue (check your timing) or a lean fuel:air mixture (replace your O2 sensor).

Mechanical rattles are usually something loose. Grab parts and start shaking, and grab a hand full of wrenches and start tightening every nut and bolt you can lay your hands on.
thanks for the feedback,
I dont believe its detonation because the sound stays constant, it usually rattles when its idling as well, the sound picks up for about 1 second and gets silent for another second and this repeats. The car still drives perfectly but I do want to get it fixed asap as it is very irritating :suicide:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts