ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm fairly new to mx5's (yes im in the uk so its not miata) and new to this board!

I've had my mx since last summer, and its been off road all winter to keep it dry my question is since i've had it back out in the ok weather it seem to be rattling, i'm persuming this is probably the tappets? is this a common fault? i'll be romoving the rocker top soon to pollish it and fit a new gasket as the old one is weeping a little, is there anything to look out for?

I do know it is overdue a service, so i plan to do that soon as well as replace all the water pipes with silicone ones do you think the service will help, and what oil do you lot recomend?

thanks

keith

·
Registered
87 Posts
what year is the car? coz the earlier engines came with hyd lifters & the later ones with solid lifters. Your car does not have tappets, ie. no rocker arms.

i have a 1.8, 2002 6 speed & it is noisy with a clatter only when cold, once it warms up it is ok, noise goes away.

to bring it out of storage i would change oil, and check the plugs, tyre pressures, coolant level, air filter & air box to make sure nothing is nesting there.

Use silicone hoses only if you are running higher coolant system pressures, i have a 16lb (1bar) rad cap and the stock hoses are fine.

the choice of oil you use is dependent on a temperature scale & application

All out race in hot weather use 40 w
Regular driving winter use 5-30w
regular driving summer use 10-30w

1 - 2 of 2 Posts