ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting a little more low end in my miata and had the idea to put some smaller 5.5" or 6.5" subs on the rear shelf. ( have hardtop, soft top removed, forever.)
Would probably make boxes that fit under the hardtop, on the outside of the rollbar.
Plan was to run them off the rear channel instead of the headrest speakers.

I was wondering if anyone has done something similar.

·
Registered
945 Posts
hmm.. My brother put a small box with a sealed 10" kicker and mini-amp in the trunk and it sounded great. I think the subs on the rear deck would blow your head off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hmm.. My brother put a small box with a sealed 10" kicker and mini-amp in the trunk and it sounded great. I think the subs on the rear deck would blow your head off.
I dont think that would blow your head off. :p i has a mustang with 2 15's in the back seat cus they were too big for the trunk :p just depends on the person i guess :p i thought about doing that too.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Look up the "hakuna" sub setup on google. Someone has a good write up.

Might be tough if you have a real bar fitment wise.

If not, build it kinda like the hakuna. I would build a thick MDF shelf that lays ontop of the parcel shelf. It'll help with some of the resonance of mounting it on a metal panel. It should improve on the hakuna design. Just make sure you use small 6-8" drivers that can be mounted free air. Building an actual enclosure that is a low profile and mounted cleanly could be hard. You can take up too much space with the softtop needing to lay there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be using fairly small subs, I just want more low end, nothing crazy.
I want to just run it off the head unit which does 4x50.
So something like these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-917
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-919

I was thinking something like this. Subs facing up, or inward ( less direct UV )
One on each side, maybe not exactly this shape, but this area for mounting. Tan carpet, if I can find it, to make it look a little more OEM.
There is a lot of room there when the soft top is removed.
( borrowed this picture from revimiter, hope that's ok. I remember seeing it from the soft top removal that I just did. )
Would have taken a picture of mine, but the soft top is bolted on.

Had a second thought too, could just make a large PVC tube with a sub at both ends and put it on the rear shelf.
Would looks funny though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boredom provides the answers.
While going through the "I made it myself" thread....I found what I wanted to do.

I don't know if I could make a sealed or ported box this clean, but this is what I want to do.

I kinda miss the headrest speakers my OEM seats used to have so I made some speaker boxes. They house 6.5" 2 way speakers. I can hear music over road noise better now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts