ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I test drove a 94 CSP prepped Miata without rear sway bar and it was incredible...great response and great understeer. With my JR tube/sways, my car now feels a bit crazy -- without the rear sway bar, the Miata just felt more predictable...I also have another buddy who runs his 95 without rear sway bar - but I always thought it was because he was from South Africa :?

Has anyone else tried this?

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
peter, i ran mine like that for a couple of weeks. i know the sensation.

i re-installed it. i'm also convinced aftermarket sways are a waste on the miata. i fell they ruin the car's transition in a slolam and for everyday use, they ruin the ride quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is not uncommon to disconnect the rear sway bar on a Spec Miata, especially in the rain. It does make the car push a little more.

Really depends on how you want the car to be set-up really, everyone has their own idea of what a perfect handling Miata is. Plus there are so many factors that affect how the car is going to handle, and sway bars should really be used as a final chassis tuning device.

Don't know where I was going with all of this, but hoped it helped somehow.

·
Vendor
11,669 Posts
I don't use a rear sway. I use a big-ass NB hollow front sway, and no rear sway at all. It makes everything better in my opinion. The car is much more confidence inspiring, easier to drive, and most important, faster around the autocross course.

Around town, it's more comfortable without the rear sway too. That's just a side benefit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One of my Miata buddys has stock springs and stock sway bars. He did a trial and error on some I guess and he drives a long, twisty road to work... in Southern California it's relatively well known, the Angeles Crest Highway. He swears stock sways are the way to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For my 1999 NB Miata, I just upgraded my front sway bar to the Racing beat tubular bar, and kept the rear stock. IMO I like this setup in that my steering is very neutral, no sign of understeer and very minimal oversteer, and the body roll is reduced significantly. But it really depends on what you do, and how you like your car to be handled. Based on other forums I read, I hear upgrading to an aftermarket rear sway bar gives the car a little too much oversteer.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Haven't run sans rear sways yet, but plan to try it when the project car is back on the road. Higher spring rates make the sways less important, the rears even less.

Plus it takes a few pounds off the car. :wink:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I ran my car w/o rear sway bar too. with RB hallow sway up front. tires run 25psi all around. tein set up for street is 7 clicks from stiff to soft up front and 9 clicks from stiff to soft in the rear. very balance car. very easy to drive fast in corners.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You guys want no rear sway bar??? :-k :-s My car pushes too much, I'm thinking I want a bigger rear sway bar....I'll wait until I install new suspension, but damn...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
you can't look at this in a vaccuum. If you can run high enough spring rates, sways don't matter as much. And if you have more power, you can compensate for the bias toward understeer without the rear bar. A thick front bar and no rear seems aweful biased to me. But your spring rates and alignment could probably compensate for that...

I ran RB larger sways on my last car, but with the cage, I can up the spring rates without chassis deflection. So I've done that and have stuck with stock sways so far. The only thing I don't like about the stock bars is thier lack of adjustability.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
On my 2000.... I have the racing beat tubular front bar, and a flyin miata rear bar. The front bar is set on it's softest setting, and the rear bar is on the middle setting. Have racing beat endlinks also. The car feels well balanced with this setup, and much more comfortable at the limit. Oversteer is predictable and easy to control, and the car doesn't push nearly as much as it did stock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts