ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I find a super Used Recaro Pole Position but now I need to buy a Super Rail for it... (to fit in a NA - Left drive side)

Can you help me?

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
There are no "bolt on rails" that will fit this large of a seat in a Miata. If you're 6 feet tall and are pretty big than make (or get someone to make) custom L brackets to mount the seat on the stock rails. This is the lowest you'll be able to sit without mounting it to the floor. It is also the only sure way to get such a large seat to center up to the wheel and still point straight ahead. Also, you will not be able to slide the seat forward much further than a couple inches without the right edge scraping the transmission tunnel. But if youre 6 feet tall (or close to it) this wouldn't be an issue anyways.

Now, if you're significantly less than 6 feet and don't weigh more than 170ish; pretty much if you're not overweight and on the tall side, then sell that Pole Position and get an SPG (if you want to stick with the Recaro brand.) Once again the lowest way to mount it with any rail is with the stock rails. It needs to sit pretty offset to the left to be centered with the wheel so unless you can find some left L brackets that will extend far enough under the seat to reach their mounting points than great. If not, youll gave to make custom ones.

And those brackets posted above btw wont work as they wont get the seat centered. And they def wont work with mounting it to the floor.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Hah, I didn't even realize it was you lukas. In which case, you should def get an SPG :)

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
There are no "bolt on rails" that will fit this large of a seat in a Miata. If you're 6 feet tall and are pretty big than make (or get someone to make) custom L brackets to mount the seat on the stock rails. This is the lowest you'll be able to sit without mounting it to the floor. It is also the only sure way to get such a large seat to center up to the wheel and still point straight ahead. Also, you will not be able to slide the seat forward much further than a couple inches without the right edge scraping the transmission tunnel. But if youre 6 feet tall (or close to it) this wouldn't be an issue anyways.

Now, if you're significantly less than 6 feet and don't weigh more than 170ish; pretty much if you're not overweight and on the tall side, then sell that Pole Position and get an SPG (if you want to stick with the Recaro brand.) Once again the lowest way to mount it with any rail is with the stock rails. It needs to sit pretty offset to the left to be centered with the wheel so unless you can find some left L brackets that will extend far enough under the seat to reach their mounting points than great. If not, youll gave to make custom ones.

And those brackets posted above btw wont work as they wont get the seat centered. And they def wont work with mounting it to the floor.
Actually no. The Pole Position is not that big, can be centered on the wheel, and using it in conjunction with rails will sit you extremely high. He will want something custom fabbed.

Like so:

We even have a forum sponsor offering very nice looking brackets to order.
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=54021

I do agree with the sizing comments. Get the SPG Profi if you are on the smaller side (sub 150/140 ish lbs). It's the best seat I've ever experienced outside of their Proracer models.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Actually no. The Pole Position is not that big...
Compared to most other racing seats in its class, it is.

...can be centered on the wheel...
If mounted far back enough, which I mentioned was a problem if you're not 6 ft tall.

...and using it in conjunction with rails will sit you extremely high.
This is the lowest you'll be able to sit without mounting it to the floor.
It can sit you a bit lower than stock. Which I agree, is very high if you compare it to mounting it to the floor but not compared to what you started with.

He will want something custom fabbed.
I assumed he wanted rails. Says so on his first post.

Friends don't let friends mount seats to stock hardware. Unless you like bugs in your teeth that is. :mrgreen:
Stock hardware is actually better than most of the aftermarket rails for Miatas out there. Remember they had to meet strict safety standards that even the higher end rails, such as Bride, did not have to meet. Not to say Bride rails suck, they don't, but they don't account for he majority.

But you're right, if you must have a Pole Position and want the simplest solution to mount it as low as possible, still be centered, and don't mind getting rid of the rails, than those seat brackets are the way to go.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
^ All valid points. In my eyes, I guess, if you are mounting a fixed back race seat sliding rails should not even be in the equation. Set it once exactly for you, the driver, and forget. Also gives you an excuse to keep friends out of the car. :)

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Oh and as far as centering the seat goes. Don't be afraid bfh your trans tunnel. :twisted:

You can fit some pretty ridiculous seats in the NA. You just have to get creative.
Exhibit A. Friend is using SPG Profi XL and Pole Position for passenger. Talk about tight fit on the driver side!

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
I guess the thing for me is that I like to have a "user-friendly" car and have always enjoyed seeing peoples reactions to driving my car (or a Miata in general.) The next best thing would be getting something like Nielex Intruder mounts but I never knew whether or not they finished the one for a LHD application. Then the Kaze Spec ones were released and rainbows flew out of my monitor. They're definitely in my plans for the near future.

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
you will have to beat the transmission tunnel a bit but it should be able to center no problem. we're creating a custom seat mount for the pole position because of the way its shaped.

·
Supporting Member
280 Posts
just sell me your headache

1 - 20 of 36 Posts