ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first iPod (60GB video) and I want to upgrade from the crappy headphones that came with it.

I'm considering the Ultimate Ears or Etymotic Research. Anyone have experience with those or recommend others of that caliber?

Thanks!

Bill

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If you don't need headphones for working out, or moving a lot, I like my Shure E2Cs.

If you are walking/running with them in, you'll hear your footfalls through bone conduction, but for just sitting and listening at work, they're really nice.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If you're looking for over the ears like that, I'll back up Thomas' reccomendation of the SR60. I've auditioned them in the past, and their only sin i could find was that they were good enough to expose the compression flaws in the MP3s I was listening to. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
How are you going to use them? For sitting around the house, on a plane, or during a roadtrip (passenger of course), I use Grado SR-80's, which are over-the-ear type. They are bulky but sound great. I also have a pair of SR60's which don't have quite as much bass. An iPod is able to power these nicely. I have a pair of Sony 7506's as well, but I think those need a little more power.

If you want the in-the-ear type, then Etymotics or Shures are both very good. They really do cancel out almost all background noise, which is not good for running or biking. They're great on a plane.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i use Bose headphones, i have the triports

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_headphones_index

my dad uses the quet comfort 3's

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc3_headphones_index

sound pretty amazing! just noticed they are alot cheaper in america though #-o

they sound really nice and deep and even the triports block out a bit of noise and are really closed so people next to you dont get to hear what you are listening which if i am not listening to my music drives me insane on the tube.

i am biased though having a lifestyle 48 and now a 321 GS on order :mrgreen:

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
...they were good enough to expose the compression flaws in the MP3s I was listening to. :)
That's why I enjoy kicking back with a cold one and putting some vinyl on a platter. Ahhhhh....

As far as headphones, for over-the-head, open-air type, I use an old pair of Pioneer Digital headphones (designed for digital), and for over-the-ear, I have a nice set of Sennheiser somewhere around. I still have a buunch of stuff packed away in boxes from the move. I need to find those suckers!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny review on Apple.com:

"These are the best earphones money can buy. They have the ability to completely block out the female voice. That in itself is an amazing quality for men everywhere."

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've had these for 5 years: http://www.minidisco.com/Sony-MDR-EX51LP

Works like subwoofer in the head and i hear things i've never heard before in my favorite songs. They are budget compared to the heavy duty ones like Shure but still do a damn good job. Takes awhile to get use to, might hurt the ears your first few times but it'll change your perspective on audio quality.

It also depends on the application too. They don't work particularly as well on Ipods because their EQ settings are not up to par, but you can still get great acoustics.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've had Shure E2gs(basically just black E2Cs) and they're really great. However I'm reluctant to spend another £50-£60 to replace the set that I lost, that I bought to replace my first set that broke. :(

If you don't mind over head phones then Sennheiser PX100s are really good and suit the iPod really well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i have a set of the etymotic ER6i headphones and they sound great and block out everything... seriously I feel deaf wearing them. they're basically earplugs.

however they get uncomfortable after a while. I'd suggest some over the ear phones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts