ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently turbo'd my 90 NA. It's my daily driver for now.
Check it :Im going to get tuned veryyy soon. As far as i know i need a wideband guage, and an ECU... whats reliable for under $300? anything ha
Thanks for the help.
ps-i have done research and people tell me MSPNP is not good for DD... So i need more opinions from people who have the experience.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Definitely ask this question on Miataturbo. They'll be very helpful.
oh yeah they will for sure ! :woolery:

@TO: you turboed your car and have no knowledge about ECUs ? how'd you expect it to work ? let it tune once and then you will be ready for the rest of the life ? forget it, read into the stuff, otherwise it will not work !

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
if you're expecting reliability for $300, you are going to have a tough time. Boost=money. It's a lot easier to save and get the right setup once than it is to buy something cheap and have to replace it later.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Check it :Im going to get tuned veryyy soon. As far as i know i need a wideband guage, and an ECU... whats reliable for under $300? anything ha
Thanks for the help.
ps-i have done research and people tell me MSPNP is not good for DD... So i need more opinions from people who have the experience.
do you do all your shopping at wal-mart?

You will need more than 300 for a standalone and A LOT more than that for tuning.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the help.
under 300 you will be hard pressed to find anything other than using a rrfpr and some igintion retard.

Personally I'm not gonna recommend a MS again. If you want to go standalone ecu and keep everything you have already and have oem driving feel you are gonna have to plop down some more cash than 300.

You don't need a wideband, you just need a wideband if you plan to tune the car. If you get it tuned by a tuning company they can use theirs to tune it, once its tuned correctly then shouldn't need to have a wideband around unless you want one. Most common standalones will support your narrowband input for closed loop fueling.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
You don't need a wideband, you just need a wideband if you plan to tune the car. If you get it tuned by a tuning company they can use theirs to tune it, once its tuned correctly then shouldn't need to have a wideband around unless you want one.
A wideband is cheap insurance to confirm that you're not running lean no matter what your fueling solution is. I can't really see why you wouldn't want to have one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
A wideband is cheap insurance to confirm that you're not running lean no matter what your fueling solution is. I can't really see why you wouldn't want to have one.
When you are racing you hardly interested in looking at a wideband. If its tuned in properly you shouldn't have issues with running lean, and if you wanted to know besides you would check logs later of your boardband o2 sensor. You can also tell something is wrong with a narrowband o2 sensor.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
When you are racing you hardly interested in looking at a wideband. If its tuned in properly you shouldn't have issues with running lean, and if you wanted to know besides you would check logs later of your boardband o2 sensor. You can also tell something is wrong with a narrowband o2 sensor.
:fp:

Because cars never break. I've personally seen +/- 1.5 AFR points on my MS dependent on temperature, which would be plenty to bust a motor if one was running on the edge (I haven't optimized my ideal gas law correction yet, so it's just been easier to retune via VEAL for the moment). I never understand why some people refuse to run a gauge. Why don't you just get rid of your gas, tacho and speedo? You never look at those when you're racing too. Please explain to me how a narrowband is useful when you can grenade an engine running below 14.7:1.

Oh hey my car is running odd I'll just go check the logs *bam*.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, that is a straight up lie. I've had three different turbochargers on my car in the last two years and it just takes a few hours of my time to get the tune right on the road, all with the same MS-PnP I've had...... forever.

If you seriously turbo'd your car and are running on a stock ecu, please do yourself a favor and wire the wastegate open.

Get a Megasquirt. You can probably find one used in the classifieds at a reasonable price. Then read, read, read and read some more. Then you can tune for a lean cruise and get 36mpg w/ 300hp on tap; like a boss :fab:

·
Registered
341 Posts
:fp:

Because cars never break. I've personally seen +/- 1.5 AFR points on my MS dependent on temperature, which would be plenty to bust a motor if one was running on the edge (I haven't optimized my ideal gas law correction yet, so it's just been easier to retune via VEAL for the moment).
One of the beefs I have with megasquirt\msextra is exactly the ideal gas law crap they have going. Sure would be thats why I mentioned have it tuned properly by a tuning company.

I never understand why some people refuse to run a gauge. Why don't you just get rid of your gas, tacho and speedo? You never look at those when you're racing too. Please explain to me how a narrowband is useful when you can grenade an engine running below 14.7:1.

Oh hey my car is running odd I'll just go check the logs *bam*.
What guages are important depend on the type of event. A narrowband can be still useful for diagnostics, if the ecu allows it and if the ecu can be set to go into safe mode depending on set parameters you want.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Is that why many race cars run data acquisition, and plenty of gauges/racepak like systems to display info as required?

I had oil starvation problems last track event. Take a guess how I found out? OPG. when my car was overheating, take a guess how I found that out? with a linear Temp gauge.

This is utter bullshit. You NEED a wideband of sorts if you are going turbo or FI of sorts. No if, and, or buts about it.

If you don't ever use it again, you will still need it to tune.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts