ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bringing foxy back.
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm tempted to remove my charcoal canister. I already know how it's done, and it's been explained over and over, so no point going there. What I want to know though, is... Is there any downside or danger, in removing the canister?

Like, can the fumes cause a fire, or ruin something?

I truly, honestly, have no idea, and I found nothing about this by searching. For most people it's only a way of cleaning up the engine bay it seems, but to me it's a few grams less on the car.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
All it does is store fumes from the gas tank as pressure builds up in tank when the car sits in the sun. The only thing that will happen is that the pressure will build up in your gas tank and it will be released when you open the gas. Not really a bid deal and my car sits sometime for over a week with no side affects.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
removed mine a few weeks after I bought the car - never noticed anything different.

When I remove the gas cap, pressure does escape - but it did that before I removed the canister so like I said - nothing changed, ever.

The canister is hooked to a solenoid valve that opens to suck the fumes into the intake manifold. If you just loop the fume line back to itself, fumes are constantly sucked into the intake manifold. Some people say at idle, they can smell a "rich exhaust" - I've never been able to smell anything out of the ordinary.

If the canister has done its job for more than ~100,000 miles, the reactive charcoal is spent anyway - it's doing nothing now.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
I have removed them from 5 different miatas and still haven't noticed a difference.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,153 Posts
Will throw a CEL if OBDII.

Get rid of that canister and buy a smaller coolant overflow tank, then hang it in the front bumper. Should save you some weight and certainly clears up the passenger side bay.

·
Bringing foxy back.
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, been thinking about the coolant reservoir too...

Oh well. Canister is removed. Nothing changed.

Thanks guys :)

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Is it certain that it will throw a CEL on ODBII? I wanted to do this to my 2001 but not if it will throw a CEL!

......unless I do this and remove the cat :)

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,153 Posts
^ yes. there's a thread about it around here somewhere. or maybe I read it in the wire-tuck thread... I can't remember.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Look up how to wire tuck for nb, made a post about how i did mine, its bin like that for 2 weeks no problems

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
just took it out to see if it popped a code....nothing on my 2001. I left the sensor plugged in and cut up the wires to make it look a little cleaner

Need to clean my engine bay -_-'

Attachments

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Did anybody else notice an small idle disruption if the car sits for about 30 seconds after doing this? Also, should this effect driveability/performance in any positive or negative ways?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts