ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please list every thing that can be removed from the engine bay. And allow the car to run with know issues. Also how people have hid or minimized things.

Also give " how to" information and pics to help others achieve that simple beauty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have seen and looked through all the lightness sites. Most have a list of removed items but nothing that says how it was removed or what had do be caped, rewired, or filtered. I thought of this question after reading the post on the charcoal canister. And thought more info on removal of the stuff we do not need, would be a good add on to the site.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yeah, I'm looking into tackling a wire tuck myself...... would be nice to have some pointers....

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
In the NA theres a decent bit of room under the fenders and behind the bumper with the plastic crap gone... I plan to stick as much of the crap in there as I can and hide my nitrous solenoids in there too :)

·
Mufasa in Training
32,612 Posts
Well, the intake manifold brace comes out with 4 bolts...there's a start :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is a list of stuff I removed.

Removed AC compressor, compressor brackets, all AC hardlines in the engine bay. It took maybe and hour or so. The compressor comes off pretty easy and the the bracket is held on by 4 bolts I believe. The hardlines are a little harder to unbolt from each other but you can always cut them and then remove them. Just make sure your AC is empty before you do.

Remove the washer fluid resevoir and all it's components if you don't use it. It's a few bolts and hoses.

Remove the cruise control mechanism if you have it.

Remove the foam padding behind your front bumper. I just stuck my hand in front of the radiator and broke the foam into smaller pieces so I could pull them out.

Pull up the carpet on the rear deck, it's just attatched with plastic clips. Remove all the crap under that. You can do the same to the padding under the carpet behind the seats. Just lean the seats forward, unclip, and remove the square pads. They are glued to the wall but come off pretty easy.

Take off your front bumper and remove the big plastic piece that sits behind there. I just have the main steel brace behind my front bumper. You should be able to do the same with the back.

Removed my fender linings. Be sure to secure the the wiring looms that run under the fender to the frame underneath. If not your tires will shread them when you drive.

Change you steering wheel to an aftermarket one. The airbag and stock wheel are pretty heavy.

Change your seats to lighter ones. The stock seats are fairly heavy. I had the ones with speakers in the head rests.

Changing your headlights is optional. I shaved about 15 lbs changing mine the CF flush mounts.

CF mirrors will save a couple pounds if you want to go that far.

Switch your stock airbox to a cone filter. You can buy an adapter at Autozone or Pepboys and then slap any cone filter you like on it.

Change the crappy stock exhaust and headers. They way alot and have crappy flow.

High Flow cat or test pipe in place of the stock one.

Other things you can remove.

The metal shield in your trunk blocking the fuel lines to your gas tank.

Your spare tire and jack. My spare weighs probably about 20 lbs. I used to leave my spare out all the time but now I only take it out when I'm autocrossing.

Pull all the carpet in the trunk.

And nothing beats being as light as you can be. The driver losing weight is just as good.

Most of how to remove this stuff you can find in a manual. Just pick up a good one and read through it before you remove things. Saves you some hastle if you plan on putting stuff back in ever.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'm dropping as much weight as I can also. :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
do a search on lightweightmiata.com
All I've found is "38.00 A/C". :?
that was an estimate, I weighed mine and was closer to 50# on my bath scale, I dont know how accurate it is. and I havent removed/weighed the stuff under the dash yet.

from lightweightmiata
"Some weights (like the weight of an AC unit) were determined by a concensus of what other people said. "

·
Mufasa in Training
32,612 Posts
I put my AC compressor, PS pump, AC Fan, hoses, and both condensors in a box on a corner weight scale and it came to about 49.18lbs. Just as an FYI :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I estimated about 30 or so pounds for just the compressor, hardlines, and brackets. I kept the in dash stuff so I have a defroster. It comes in handy when it's raining and cold. Overall I would say I shaved about 60-80 lbs. Just estimating that number but that includes everything I've done. If I could get those triangle window's with the vents in them I might gut the blower and stuff under the dash.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yeah I would expect that to be way more accurate than my bath scale.

did you weigh the ac by itself? I would guess the ps pump being 10lbs would be fair

1 - 17 of 17 Posts