ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for those of you who have removed you soft tops. Do you regret taking it out? Do you miss them at all? Did you notice a noise difference? Was it louder or more quiet? How much weight does the soft top relieve?

The reason I ask is I already have a hardtop. My soft tops rear window zipper is broken and the plastic window is pretty much gone. So my dilema is do I try to fix the zipper (not sure if this is even possible) and should I try to replace the plastic window (don't know if it's possible since the zipper is shot). Or should I say screwit an remove the soft top all together? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Same happend to mine... I took it out long ago. I really didnt notice any difference in noise except there was no vibrating noise from the soft top when I went over bumps. My soft top felt like it was about 60 to 70lbs. I guess its cheaper to replace the top than to get the zipper fixed :? I got a quote from a guy to fix it for $1000... so I donno lol I rather just have the hardtop. Looks uber sexy anyways :D

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I removed it, and yes I do miss it, thats why Im in process of putting it back. Since you have a hardtop though you can put it off as long as you like

·
Registered
369 Posts
The soft top is in the 40-50 lbs. range. I removed mine in my CSP car, but I miss it when the weather is nice. I think it's great to take it out for a race car, but if I drove the car more I'd probably want it back in.

When my plastic window went I bought some automotive grade vinyl, cut out the old window and glued another one in. Not the prettiest method, but it worked. I got the vinyl and glue from TAP plastics (about $30).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah. I feel a little regret on nice days, when I'm commuting, but It's all made up for by the weight, security and looks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't regret it. I just bought a cockpit cover. And use my hardtop most of the time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It was one of the first things I took off my car when building.. vinyl top/plastic window/frame = 45lbs.
CSP guys all do it as well.. then they just leave the shelf carpet installed.. looks pretty clean IMO.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I took it out for winter, and I'm installing a fresh soft top w/ a glass window sometime this week.

Honestly, I kind of wish I had a zipper top, since I'd love that "bikini top" airflow, but would hate having to unzip to drop the top.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The only downside to yanking the soft top and having just the hard top is that you need to plan out when you'll be top down (off?). A nice bonus to not having it is a bunch more room for stuff behind the rollbar if you have one.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Has anyone shaved a hardtop to a miata yet? I was planning on making a NA coupe 8)
As far as I know it's never really been done. Mazda did kind of do that with the concept NA coupe, but it wasn't done with an off the shelf hard top, it had a custom hand laid FRP roof. I'd honestly be worried about it cracking if you permenantly attached it as it dosen't really have any structure like a metal roof would and frp is much more brittle than steel or aluminum. plus I'd worry about the bondo or poly fill or whatever you used to smooth the transition developing stress cracks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a quote from a guy to fix it for $1000... so I donno lol I rather just have the hardtop. Looks uber sexy anyways :D
$1000 to FIX a soft top?!? That's over DOUBLE the price of a new soft top!! WTF was he smoking? :?
When I asked if he could just replace the zipper. He told me about $450 because of labor. I'd love to just leave the plastic window down, but last year some fag climbed into the back and tried to steal everything. Luckly he only made off with my sunglasses (I don't leave anything in my car). Maybe after I get a roll bar it'll look like too much up a hassle for someone to try to climb in. Thanks for the respones guys. I think if I removed it, I'd miss it too much.

I'll take pictures on the zipper tomorrow and post it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts