ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one but I am having a hell of a time removing the rear axle/hub nuts. I haven't even attempted the front ones yet, mostly because the knuckles are already removed and I haven't been able to get the caps off yet. The rear ones, at least the passenger side, is still completely assembled. I have soaked it in PB Blaster for 3 or 4 days now. I have tried a breaker bar/pipe combo but it ends up turning the rotor even with the brakes applied.

This weekend I bought a 60 gallon/155 PSI air compressor (11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI) and a 1,100 ft/lb impact gun. The impact gun isn't even budging it. I'm not entirely sure if the entire 1,100 ft/lb is being applied because the gun has a 3/8" inlet port but the air is restricted when passing through a quick coupler. I'm not sure if this limits the force of the gun or not, but needless to say it's not doing anything. I did use it on some other bolts that were incredibly rusted and took an extreme amount of brute force (I'm not a big guy, though) and the impact gun removed those like there was no resistance at all. So it's definitely outputting a large portion of it's capability.

Anyway, what else can I try at this point? I really need to get this off to replace the knuckles with Zerek's dual caliper set as well as replace the bushings. I know the long pass-through bolt will give me issues as well, once I get to it, but I figure if I can't press that out using the impact gun, a 20-ton press, fire, and PB Blaster then I will just cut it out and buy a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tried torching the nut before using the impact gun? I've been able to get off all PITA bolts/nuts off my rusted up winter beater using that method.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried torching the nut before using the impact gun? I've been able to get off all PITA bolts/nuts off my rusted up winter beater using that method.
I haven't but I was planning on trying it tonight. I wanted to do some research on exactly what to heat before I tried it. It looks like, as you said, I need to heat just the nut itself and then throw the impact on it. I will give it a try tonight and see how it goes. How long do your normally heat it? I will be using a propane torch to do the heating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, OP is an idiot. I got them off today. Remembered I had my compressor set to 90 PSI and the impact gun was rated up to 125 PSI. I cranked the compressor up to 125 and it blasted the nut right off. Didn't even need to heat it.

Now I'm off to find out how to remove the spindle from the axle so I can finally sand blast the rear suspension and get everything put back together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This project is just one thing after the next! I'm so glad I'm replacing and/or refurbishing every suspension component. I got the axle nut off, not I can't get the hub off the axle. I tried a hub puller and it did absolutely nothing. So I pulled the axle out of the diff and took it over to my 20 ton press. That thing did absolutely nothing either! Same situation with the bolt on the lower control arm but that I ended up just cutting off. For $10 I'll just replace it and save myself that aggravation. However I need to get the axle out of the hub. I've got new hub's coming from Zerek with dual caliper mounting points. I left it sitting in the press for tonight and filled the little area with PB Blaster so it can soak in and seep down (hopefully) over night. I kept pressure on the axle so that it can hopefully pop loose at any point if the PB Blaster actually works.

But does anyone else have this same trouble? I may have to take it to a shop with a larger press if this doesn't work. And the worst part of it all is I've still got the other side to do.

Before anyone says it, I've already got a big container of Permatex on it's way, delivered tomorrow. Everything will get coated when it goes back together. I'm also sand blasting and painting everything as well as cleaning and/or replacing all of the hardware.

And lastly, when it comes to heating it up, all I've got is a little blue propane bottle torch. I don't have anything more and I don't think that thing can heat the hub up hot enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the PB Blast doesn't work, try a 50:50 mixture of ATF and acetone. Just don't get it on any paint.
I let the PB Blaster sit all night with the hub and axle in the press, under pressure, and it did absolutely nothing at all. The PB was still pooled up around the threads, it didn't even seep down into the gears. I am going to try and find a local shop with a 50+ ton press that can try to push it out for me. I'm at a loss of what to do at this point. Nothing is working at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I located a 50 ton press at a tractor trailer service center. I'll be taking both sides down there evening to see if they can't press them out. I have to pay for an entire hour of service if they are able to so I am going to have them press out my old bushings as well, just to get my hours worth of service. I can do those myself but if I'm paying for time I may as well utilize it. Hopefully they can do it and then I can get all the control arms, calipers, and sway bars sandblasted this weekend and start getting things back together.

If they are able to press it out I am a little bit concerned about getting it back together but I think if I soak the splines of the axle and the hub in rust remover and clean them up with a wire wheel, along with some Permatex, I should be able to slide them back together without too much trouble. Hopefully.

I will be really glad when this suspension is back together with new parts and everything has anti-seize on it. It should make future servicing much easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final update: Took the axles to a 75 ton press and they shattered my knuckles before budging the axle. Just had to order new axles, bearings, hubs, clips, and seals for both sides. Zereks knuckles ship out on Monday. What an expensive and exhausting ordeal that was but it's over and I gained substantial weight savings in my wallet in the process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A little late to the thread to warn ya, but I busted the hub spindles too, at home on my 20 ton harbor freight press. That **** was scary! Never again... If it didnt wanna come out while it was on the car with a sledge hammer it aint coming apart without breaking something. Good luck with the refresh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts