ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend I want to remove the horrible moldings the previous owner put on the car. I can only assume they've been on since sometime in the 90s.

they appear to just be glued on so this was my plan,

use a heat gun on low setting to warm the glue. Dental floss to seperate the molding from the car. Either goo gone or rubbing alcohol to remove the left over residue.

Has anyone done this before and has some tips they would like to share? I didnt see anywhere on the goo gone bottle that it said not to use on automotive paint, but I plan to test it on an unseen area to be sure.

The paint is original and in 8 out of 10 condition and Id like to try and keep it that way.

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive had this issue, previous owner had gawdy aftermarket side moldings put on. Completely ruined the body lines, i too used a heat gun for the most part, but the tape it used was so hard to work with. After being annoyed with rubbing alcohol and degreaser, i pulled out the big guns, Good old gasoline. IDK about using this on single stage enamel paint , but base coat, clear coat is fine, just wash it immediately and use a cleaner wax when you are all done.

I unfortunately learned that gas removes more than tape when i accidently dropped a can of red spray paint by my pearl white TSX, which happend to explode XD.. I tried magic eraser, goo be gone, degreser.. finally gas, removed all the red enamel spray paint without hurting the pearl white.

Just realized you said it may be glued on? Mine were taped on.. so this glue might be harder to work with than the tape. GL.. keep us updated

·
Registered
567 Posts
if your original plan does not work and everything else fails and if you have chem gear use toluene or xylene. they are very nasty stuff but very effective. if not acetone works also glue clean up pretty well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your plan seems sound.

Heating remaining adhesive with the heat gun and carefully using a plastic scraper has worked pretty well for me in the past for getting remaining trim adhesive off when removing badges and such. Just have to be slow and careful.

If you end up with just a little adhesive / residue left you might also try a clay bar if the alcohol doesn't do it. First new car I ever bought I got paint overspray all over like a week after taking delivery - took awhile but I was able to remove using a clay bar. I'd try that before harsh chemicals - unlike the chemicals the worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.