ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove this to carry out cosmetic repairs to the Yamaha wood on the M2-1002. Are there any hidden screws. I can only see the two air vent screws. Really don't want to break it for want of a screw I didn't notice. That would be a very expensive mistake.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
the radio surround should be the same as the regular surrounds. if that is the case, there is a screw below the center console (which you have to remove to remove the radio surround) and the two screws in the air vents. everything else is friction fit.

The 3rd screw, below the center console can be seen in the top left of this pic.

Attachments

·
1,213 Posts
I am sure someone has some pictures from JYA sales on their PC that may be of help ... I am at home this week and all of mine are on my work server but I definately have a few back and front shots of both the M2-1001/2 and the 1028 radio console surounds

·
Registered
379 Posts
There are only 3 screws the ari vents an one on the bottom of the suround, like in the picture. Try moving it slow, very slow and try to find were if more tight.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Just to be clear Andy isn't asking about a regular Miata radio console. He's asking about the shorty M2, Inc. radio console. There is no center elbow console in this car that would conceal any hidden screws like on the regular Miata. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I swear I've seen a diagram of it somewhere before. Hopefully a UK member with a M2-1001 or M2-1002 or perhaps Randy can chime in with some better advice to help you get it off without damage. My guess would be there is just spring clips along the bottom holding it in place but I wouldn't risk it without knowing for sure. Good luck and be sure to report back. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for pics/diagrams that might help.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I can't seem to find a clear picture of the M2 radio surround, but it is listed on this site:
http://www.kisweb.ne.jp/personal/mec-onchi-page/m2diy.htm
Specifically on the following page:
http://www.kisweb.ne.jp/personal/mec-onchi-page/m2diy/diy22.htm

Looks from this that the wood veneer is covering the location of the third screw (in the lower left corner of the surround). I would guess you would need to release the wood veneer somehow, that is the (possibly) expensive question.

It "looks" like the veneer might have some clips that hook into the stereo surround.

·
Supporting Member
830 Posts
I've seen pics of the M2 1001/1028 center bezels, and they both have a screw on either side at the bottom corners. I would check to see if the leather/vinyl covering the bezel is 'moveable' at either bottom corner on the sides...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts