ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the hell do I take this thing off? I unscrewed all of the bolt from the underside of the trunk, but the sucker just does not want to come off. It seems like there might be some kind of adhesive underneath. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm kind of afraid to use brute force because it may damage the paint or something. Any tips would be a grat help. I want to take it off because it is faded to **** and really looks bad, but if I attempt to repaint it, it won't match the 16 year old red (1990 Classic Red). So I figured I'd just remove it until I decide what the hell to do.

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
its held on with double sided tape. all the way around the outside of the wing. fishing line works wonders. Whan you remove it you are gonna have a hole in your trunk though!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Be very careful with fishing line and similar approach. I use a paint safe solvent like GooGone or similar which will soften the adhesive, remove it even given applications and time. Apply liberally and repeatedly. :)

...and as already indicated, removal will leave a hole in center of your decklid.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips fellas. I'm not too concerned about the whole in the trunk though. I'll just cover it up with some red tape. Ghetto looking? Yes. But detinitely better looking than a faded spoiler. I'll try to remove it again this weekend or whenever I get a day off. Friggin retail man.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Why don't you remove the trunk lid (easy to do), tape off everything except the spoiler, and paint it flat or satin black?

I did this on my old Miata when the paint started to fade and it looked pretty good.

Kinda like the under spoilers (if you have them).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts