ClubRoadster.net banner

Replace spare tire with fix a flat?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a poll to see if I should remove my spare tire. I'm not doing it for weight reasons. I dont plan on seriously tracking the car ... yet. It is my daily driver and I just would like to reclaim some trunk space ya know, for trips and stuff (MATG). I would be replacing the tire with a can of fix a flat, just incase.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I used to run without one but then I loaned the car to my GF to drive up to her dad's house and one of the tires blew out about a hundred miles from home. I had to borrow a car and drive up there to bring the spare. Ever since then I've been rocking the spare. Plus it helps balance the car. It was put where it is by the engineers to counteract the driver.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
I used to run without one but then I loaned the car to my GF to drive up to her dad's house and one of the tires blew out about a hundred miles from home. I had to borrow a car and drive up there to bring the spare. Ever since then I've been rocking the spare. Plus it helps balance the car. It was put where it is by the engineers to counteract the driver.

thats why you remove the PS/AC and headlights :)

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I have run without the spare in the trunk for over 10 years. A can of tire goo, a small compressor and a AAA card.

Hell the NC doesn't even come with a spare. Just a kit with a bottle of tire goo and the compressor (of which I picked up a couple of these kits on eBay for cheap).

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
I say keep the spare in the car. Once you use the tire goo the tire is done. The balance would be off and if it just needed to get patched, you would not be able to get it fixed. The little trunk space regained from the Spare removal is insignificant really..

When was the last time anyone here checked their spare tire air pressure???

I just checked it after reading this post and they were both low!!
That would of sucked....

Checkem boys and girls.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
... Plus it helps balance the car. It was put where it is by the engineers to counteract the driver.
I don't know if I believe that statement. My Eunos has the spare tire on the right hand side. Same side as driver. So wouldn't that contradict your statement?
It is an apocryphal quote. I really don't have anywhere to attribute it too so it could be false. I want to say it was in some car magazine.

My car with the spare in it was able to balance to within 3lbs for all four corners with me in the drivers seat (LHD).

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Fix-a-flat is absolute junk and is not worth the money. I work as an automotive tech, and I can tell you when I have to deal with a customer that needs a tire plug/patched, and they've got fix-a-bitch in it, it just makes everyone's day a pain in the ass.

First of all, it's highly flammable, and leaves a rediculous mess. Also, you HAVE to clean it out of the tire if you're going to get it patched (that's usually left up to the poor sap who's stuck fixing your tire). In every case I've seen it used, it hasn't done its job and has just been a total waste of money, time, and energy.

If for some magical reason it does allow the tire to hold air, it slowly eats away at the tire from the inside out. So, if you DO use fix-a-**** in your tire (against my recommendation), either buy a new tire or get the old one fixed immeadiately. If you decide to get it fixed, tip the dude who did it for you.

I would NEVER count on fix-a-flat or slime to get me back on the road if I had a flat. I have a lot of experience with that kind of stuff, and I'll always keep a donut in my car.

·
MNAO Technical Ops
957 Posts
i'll agree with arcana... i dont even bother patching tires that have been goo-canned. those tires get replaced. on the other hand, i barely keep my donut in the trunk lol...

isnt there a spare tire relocate kit? i think brainstorm used to have something like that available to go with their exhaust system.

·
Registered
465 Posts
+1 on AAA card, should be in the poll too
id rather wait an hr if that for them to show up than either a. risk fix a flat or b. ride with that god awful stock spare that belongs on a clown car.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,421 Posts
I choose spare. I spend too much money on good tires to fowl them up with a can of fix a flat. I can handle the clown car look for the time it would take me to get to a tire shop. You think the miata spare is funny, you should see the spare for my boxster its skinny too but full size in diameter and powder coated in porsche Guards Red! Everyone will know you have the spare on!

·
Registered
274 Posts
well it was suggested at the club roadster meet in f'burg for Drew to go get a can and put it in his tire, and it just so happens that Arcana apparently fixed his fix-a-flatted tire.

Irony :)

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
well it was suggested at the club roadster meet in f'burg for Drew to go get a can and put it in his tire, and it just so happens that Arcana apparently fixed his fix-a-flatted tire.

Irony :)
Haha, how's that tire holding up btw? I had forgotten it had fix-a-flat in it. I remember cleaning it off his Konigs though. Don't let him use F-A-F again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts