ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 93 miata 5 speed with a worn out 1.6 in it. I have access to a totaled low mileage RX8. Having owned an RX8 in the past, I love the way that the renesis motor runs and have been considering swapping it into a NA miata for years.

Now that is may finally become a reality, I figured i'd ask to see if anybody was familiar with both cars, and what issues I may run into. I'm not new to motor swapping, but I am new to motor swapping miatas.

Assuming I had a complete running 6 speed RX8, what issues do you think will arise? Plan is to swap the motor, trans, ecu, and electronics into the miata body. Assuming the diff will not work... Also, I'm not too worried about keeping power steering or ABS as I have a comfortable daily driver already.

Would love to hear any input.

Thanks!

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Recently purchased a 93 miata 5 speed with a worn out 1.6 in it. I have access to a totaled low mileage RX8. Having owned an RX8 in the past, I love the way that the renesis motor runs and have been considering swapping it into a NA miata for years.

Now that is may finally become a reality, I figured i'd ask to see if anybody was familiar with both cars, and what issues I may run into. I'm not new to motor swapping, but I am new to motor swapping miatas.

Assuming I had a complete running 6 speed RX8, what issues do you think will arise? Plan is to swap the motor, trans, ecu, and electronics into the miata body. Assuming the diff will not work... Also, I'm not too worried about keeping power steering or ABS as I have a comfortable daily driver already.

Would love to hear any input.

Thanks!

I'm swapping a turboII rotary into a NA right now.
A few things. One you will need a V8 roadsters tube front subframe.
You will need custom mounts for everything. Engine, Trans, Diff, Custom Driveshaft.
Still want to use a stock Diff? Or better put something that can take more power.
V8 roadsters also has great mounting options for a number of diffs.

As the Jalopnik article says, It is now a easy swap. If you have Fabrication skills or access to a shop. I say go for it. But be realistic in the cost and timeframe.

My own build has cost me about twice what I thought It would and triple the time with life setbacks and Money. :suicide:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@shiz - it's an 08 rx8 that would be the donor car.

I planned on going with the v8 roadsters subframe. Diff and trans mount is the big question..

@aidandj - thanks for the input. I'll keep it in mind :)

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts
If you don't want to tackle a Renesis swap, get a 12A or 13B. Rebuild it and get it ported.

·
The colder Adam
2,194 Posts
Came here to post this after just seeing the thread title. This is a classic example of "just because you already have the engine, you don't need to put it in a Miata." By "have access" does that mean it cost you $0? If so, then maybe if you really like working on cars for the sake of working on them. If you have to buy it, there are so many better ways to spend your money on these cars to go faster.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't do it...
Sell me the 8 cheap so I can...

Get to it I'd love to see what all you run into.
I'm planning out a 91 na rx7 swap.
Already have the v8 roadsters mountless subframe.
And a full auto rx7.
I wanna go with a t5 trans and stock miata rear diff.

Good lock
I'll be watching your build

·
Registered
14 Posts
a 12a with a large street port would be cool

Coming from rotaries Before i got into the miata game, let me start out by saying PLEASE DONT PUT A RENI IN ANYTHING. there's a reason the rx8 was the last of the rotaries, there's a reason the MSP engine was hated, THERE'S A REASON YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ONE lol
even a TII or na s5 13b with a port will be 10x better. the only reason the Reni makes the power that it does is the high comp rotors
the s5 na rotors are the highest you can get for any frankenstein build like mine... (12a irons, gslse housings, s5 na rotors, bridgeport)
my gf has an rx8, she and myself also both have rx7's, her rx8 has full exhuast, ls1 coils, cai, lower pulley and only makes 180whp and i beg her to get rid of it all the time and she wont lol
my carb'd 13b in my 85 makes 210whp.
please just dont, you'll be regretting it.

But hey, im a newbie here, dont have much pull.... just my 2 cents and rotary experience, GL with whatever you go with

·
Registered
492 Posts
In Japan people are junking them , complete clean cars with leather interiors and low mileage , terrible on fuel and a lot less fun than a 13b ... They depreciated terribly here & are nearly impossible to sell ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know the OP peaced out of here, but for future reference, one wouldn't have to worry about trans mounting and diff swaps. All you would need to do is use the Miata 6 speed tail housing and bolt it to the RX-8 transmission. I have RX-8 gears in my 6 speed right now, the cars have the same transmission, so all you would need to worry about is the engine mounts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts